Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corn on the cob

icunurse
icunurse Posts: 6
edited August 2011 in Vegetables
i havent ever done corn on the cob on my big green egg. any ideas would be appreciated, im doing ribs and chicken breasts for the same meal. after the ribs are done would it work to use my 3-tiered rack with the chicken on the bottom and fill the rest with the corn? please advise.

Comments

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Corn is excellent on the egg! You can do it several ways, and get great results. Cook direct or indirect, husk on or off. Indirect requires less time on your part, keeping tabs on the ears. Once you start to smell that wonderful roasted corn aroma, you're done! Seasoning of your choice and enjoy!

fc
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You can just plop the unhusked corn onto the grills. The husks will slow the cooking down, but they will probably get done faster than the chicken. The advantage is that the cooking will make the silk much easier to remove.

If you like, you can pull off as much silk as possible, and remove all but 2 layers of husk. Then put better and spices under the husks. Cooks a little quicker than above, and the corn is basted while cooking.

If the husks are off, it is still nice to butter. It will be more work, because the sides facing the coals can get burned, except for those ears above the chicken. Opening the dome to turn the ears will slow the chicken down.
  • 8 medium ears sweet corn in husks
    1/3 cup butter
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Soak corn in cold water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, garlic and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted; set aside 4 tablespoons. Carefully peel back corn husks to within 1 in. of bottoms; remove silk. Brush with remaining butter mixture. Re-wrap corn in husks and secure with kitchen string. Grill corn at 400 plus degree for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally. Drizzle corn with reserved butter mixture; sprinkle with cheese.

We have tried this many times and always enjoy it.

• bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    I posted this a while back but it got lost in the move.

Grill corn direct with husk off until it gets a little charred. Rub with lime and sprinkle with chile powder thrn get ready for some of the best corn you've tasted.

DSC_5460
  • bitslammer, Williams Sonoma has a chili-lime rub that is pretty good on corn mixed with grated parmesan. It's like the Chris Lily cohito cheese corn recipe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Grilled corn is quite delicious... I played around with this a few times and got it where I like it... of course, grilled and buttered corn is darn tasty too!

Brine
    1 gal water
    1 C salt
    1 C sugar

Remove silks and husks from corn
    Soak the corn in the brine for 8 hours

Rub
    chili powder
    canola oil
    black pepper

coat the corn with canola oil
    season with the spices

cheese sauce
    1/3 C mayo
    1/3 C sour cream
    1/2 C Cotija cheese
    2 cloves garlic
    1/3 C cilantro
    2 T chili powder
    1/2 t cayenne pepper
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 t fresh ground pepper

grill the corn until cooked through
    coat with the cheese sauce

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • when done right corn is great on the EGG  :)
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have tried all kind of ways.  Husks on, husks off, etc.  This year I have pretty much stuck with shucked corn direct on the grate turning every few minutes when the kernels start to slightly char.

I LOVE Chris Lilly's Grilled Mexican Corn that someone else mentioned but Egg JuJu's looks amazingly good too, I'll have to try that version as well.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I think Egg Juju's version would be also good if you kept the cheese till last and sprinkled it (I would dump it) on the wet sauce.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763

We've been eating it for a while just shucked and grilled direct, turning when you start to hear to kernels pop. It's quick, easy, tasty, and about all fresh corn needs.

If you want to go to a little more work, I did some off-season corn earlier this year in a butter baste - 1st Sweet Corn - and it rocked too, but it might be overkill for fresh stuff.

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    WOW my family went crazy for Grilled direct the past couple nights.  it seems like the sugars change their flavor. The smell is exactly like fresh cornbread when it comes off the grill.  Fantastic.
  • abmac
    abmac Posts: 3
    Any that you have left over is great to cut off the cob and put into the food dehydrator until you have wonderful crunchy snacks. I always do a few extra ears so I have the tastes of the grilled corn and spices that were used. It makes for fantastic snacks. We have even started to use them instead of popcorn when we watch movies.

Lee
    Best cooking success, Lee http://fooddehydratorrecipes.net
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    My spread is very simple, just one minced chipotle chile in 1/2 cup of mayo.  (add a tablespoon of honey, and then its great on plank-smoked salmon)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Her's a recipe from Bobby Flay that we tried and loved it. We rotate the corn a third turn every 10 minutes. We also changed the pepper from a habenaro to a jalapeno

·                                 8 ears corn <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·                                 4 fresh limes, quartered

·                                 Garlic butter, recipe follows

·                                 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese

·                                 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish

Directions

Preheat grill to medium. Peel back the husks of the corn without removing them. Remove the silks and recover the corn with the husk. Soak in large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 20 to 30 minutes.

Unwrap corn and brush with the garlic butter. Sprinkle with the cotija cheese and squeeze with lime. Sprinkle with chopped chives, to garnish.

Garlic Butter:

·                                 2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened

·                                 8 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped

·                                 1/4 Jalapeno pepper, seeded

·                                 1/4 bunch fresh chives

·                                 Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine butter, garlic, jalapeno, and chives in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    You can just plop the unhusked corn onto the grills. The husks will slow the cooking down, but they will probably get done faster than the chicken. The advantage is that the cooking will make the silk much easier to remove.

If you like, you can pull off as much silk as possible, and remove all but 2 layers of husk. Then put better and spices under the husks. Cooks a little quicker than above, and the corn is basted while cooking.

If the husks are off, it is still nice to butter. It will be more work, because the sides facing the coals can get burned, except for those ears above the chicken. Opening the dome to turn the ears will slow the chicken down.
    Never, ever, thought to pull the husk back, remove silk, then season and keep husks on.  I'm going to do that soon.  
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

If just corn I very lightly butter and S&P remove husk and grill. But if you want a little more:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    looks great Mickey... any specifics on everything in there including prep, time, etc?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I always used to pull the husks back and remove silk and that is what I told my parents to do. They had some friends come and they egged some corn that way and he told them he used to do that but a much easier way is to soak the corn, then grill it, then cut like an inch of the husk end off and then hold the remaining husk and shake it and the husk and all the silk will come tight off. Just heard this last week so havent tried it but if it works will save alot of time.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    BACON-  peel the husk back, remove silk and then wrap the corn with one strip of raw bacon and then pull the husk back over the corn and cook it direct or indirect, whichever you are using to cook the rest of your food- maybe about 30 minutes.  
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs