Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(PICS) Last nights pizza cook

Spoon
Spoon Posts: 328
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I hadn't cooks pizza in while, so I bought some dough from the Mellow Mushroom in my neighborhood and fired up the egg and grabbed a good beer.

I made traditional Cheese and Pepperoni for the kids. The wife wanted the same because se was not sure about the pie I had in mind. Here's the wife's pie: Buffalo Mozzarella, home made sauce and Pepperoni.

My pie was a little different. I used a very , very light base of the homemade sauce, then a layer of aged white cheddar cheese, grilled peaches, bacon, a little bit of a french blue cheese, a drizzle of Carnivore BBQ sauce, and some fresh cracked black pepper.

After it was done, my wife had a slice of my pie and was sorry she just decided on Pepperoni. It was very good, a little sweet and a little salty and savory. I would make it again for sure. I might add some caramelized onions. I also want to see how hit would be with a balsamic reduction drizzle instead of BBQ sauce. But the sauce was tasty.

"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon

Comments

• Looks great! I use the same setup and parchment paper too. What temps and times did you do? (approx is ok) Also, I have not been able to get a Mellow Mushroom near me to sell dough-- you're fortunate.
  • Spoon
    I had it going about 500 to start but it tapered off to 400 as the cook went on because I didn't have enough charcoal in there. (It's past time for a trip to ACE to stock up on more Wicked Good.) We had to cook over a couple of hours since we had to feed the kids (a 4 y/o, and two 1 y/o) and put them to bed before I cooked ours. The first pie @ 500 took about 8-10 and the other two @ 400 took about 13-15.

I asked Mellow Mushroom about selling me dough last time I was in and they said they would. When I went yesterday they didn't want to a first, but when I mentioned that I checked and told they did, they range me up no problems. It was easy, cheap and worked great.
    Looks great! I use the same setup and parchment paper too. What temps and times did you do? (approx is ok) Also, I have not been able to get a Mellow Mushroom near me to sell dough-- you're fortunate.
  • Thanks-- maybe I will push a little harder at MM. There is a knock-off recipe in the archives here somewhere. We have another local pizza joint with awesome thin crust. I saw Wicked Good at General Hdwe on Peachtree in Brookhaven recently. I could be wrong but I think it was under $20 for the 22lb bag.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Looks good Spoon! Thanks for sharing
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Spoon
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, Doc!

Buckwoody, I am over behind Dunwoody Village, if you are shopping near Brookhaven you must be fairly close. What's the other local joint over there you are talking about? I love a good thin crust.

I think the price on Wicked Good is the same at ACE, but I get a 20% off Ace gift cards from work and I get money back via ACE rewards program.
  • Yes, not far -- we're halfway between Buckhead and Dunwoody-- i.e. Buckwoody. Check out Corner Pizza sometime. http://www.cornerpizza-atl.com/ Really great crust and check their menu online -- they have good pizza ideas.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    They both look good... but I really like the sound of yours!

My S-I-L lives in Buckhead and I saw the mellow mushroom the last time we visited. I got over-ruled and we went to Food inc. which was pretty tasty too.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • the pizzas look great!
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • I will be cooking pizzas at the Eggtoberfest...I know that seems so common, but I believe they are dynamite and so many people have trouble with them. If I don't make my own dough, I recommend getting the pizza dough from the Publix Deli. The dough is perfect and you get a 1 pound dough ball for $2.50.

I killed many pizzas learing to make them correct. Simply put, I roll the dough ball in flour, use a rolling pin to stretch it a bit, and then let it hang from my hands and stretch it until it fits the baking stone perfectly. Turn up the edges, put olive oil as a base and on the edges, add homemade sauce and toppings. Crushed basil goes a long way as an accessory topping.

The trick I found was the set-up. I put in the placesetter (deflector) legs down, then the grill top. Next, I use the three BGE legs and elevate the baking stone on it. I put a bit of corn-meal mix on the baking stone. Throw on the pizza at 550 degrees to 600 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. The olive oil and corn-meal, along with the elevated baking stone will give you a nice, soft crust that is just a bit crispy. I just don't go for the direct dough on the grill thing that I see so often.
  • I recommend getting the pizza dough from the Publix Deli. The dough is perfect and you get a 1 pound dough ball for $2.50.
    you can NOT go wrong with the publix pizza dough...I haven't tried it but the also have a whole wheat.

Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Looks like great pizza. I do pizza on my LBGE a lot. Can't beat it!
    Frank from Indiana