Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg gasket/replacement

Options
Lil Bob
Lil Bob Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've read a couple posts about gasket replacement! Sounds harder than I thought! Does it really take 2 people? How long should they last? Any advice/tips greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    2 persons would be nice but I did it myself a few times since I had problems with the adhesive.

- Attach band with tie-wrap
    - Loose the band
    - Place a working table next to egg
    - Insert your strong arm thru the chimney opening
    - Slowly tilt the lid so your arm/finger
    - Lift and transport to the table

Good Luck!
    Marc
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I was able to remove the dome on my XL by myself but I needed help in getting it reinstalled. My gasket problems started with the dome being not properly aligned. The dealer that I bought it from didn't seem to know what they were doing and it was slightly out of alignment. It had an overbite. That caused a hot spot which was showing signs of charring, then I did pizzas at high temp and that completely fried the gaskets.
    I did a web search and came up with several sites that detailed how to replace the gasket with a new felt gasket. The key is in the cleanup of the rims on the dome and bottom. That was the biggest headache. Lots of scraping, rubbing with steel wool, denatured alcohol, etc etc. Once I got the surface back to white, the installation of the new gasket was pretty easy. Don't rely on just the adhesive that comes on the replacement gasket, get the 3M spray adhesive as well. I spray that down into a plastic cup and used a little foam paint brush to apply it to the surface, allowed a little time for it to get tacky, then worked the new gasket in 6 to 8 inch increments. After all of that was done I didn't want to even try to get the dome back in the band, I was fearful that I'd bang the new gaskets and mess them up. So my painter/carpenter helped me get it all put back together again, I could not have done it alone. Once we got the dome back on and the bands positioned, we then figured out how to adjust it for a perfect fit. It works just fine now (other than the hinge problem I posted earlier). I think the felt gaskets should last a long time, provided the dome is aligned well with the base, and provided you don't let the heat get too high.
    I am not going to get into the gasket wars (rutland, nomex, etc). Anyway, do a web search and you will find videos and instructional sites that will help you out. Good luck!

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • climbing egg
    Options
    I installed a rutland on my XL a few weekends ago. Start to finish took about 2.5 hours. I did it all by myself. Cleaning the old off was the hardest part. I didn't take the bands off, instead I took 2 bolts out of the hinge on each side. When I put the lid back on and lined the hinge up it was just like before.