Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another thing to consider.....

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
Ok, you quote a post. The quoted post is blue and your new text on white. Someone then quotes your post and the original quoted post is blue, but the second post (which is also being quoted) is on white. It is indented but it is not at all obvious that the second post is part of the quoted material, and some people might mistake the quoted words of the second post as being posted by the third post. Putting the words into the wrong mouths, so to speak. This would make quoting fairly useless as a substitute for the threaded view as a means of conveying who is talking to who (not mention the length of the posts that are going to result.
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• I see what your saying @The Naked Whiz
    Then write @WHOYOUARESPEAKINGTO when quoting, if you think that will help users following along easier. This new forum is going to be a great tool for all of us, you just have to get used to it....just like when the "old" forum came out, you advanced with it.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Ok, you quote a post. The quoted post is blue and your new text on white. Someone then quotes your post and the original quoted post is blue, but the second post (which is also being quoted) is on white. It is indented but it is not at all obvious that the second post is part of the quoted material, and some people might mistake the quoted words of the second post as being posted by the third post. Putting the words into the wrong mouths, so to speak. This would make quoting fairly useless as a substitute for the threaded view as a means of conveying who is talking to who (not mention the length of the posts that are going to result.
    TNW, let's have fun with nested quoting, quote me back!

canuckland
  • EGGzilla_jr, there you go trying to sell how wonderful it is going to be. Reminds of the joke about the programmer, service person and sales person. But I digress. If quoting doesn't work, why not fix it? Besides, I saw in another thread where the quoting was working entirely differently than what I saw. The nested quotes were all on a blue background, and there was proper indenting and vertical lines. So maybe someone can tell us how to quote properly.

And like I've said before, putting someone's name on your post doesn't tell anyone which post you are replying to once the thread gets very long.
    The Naked Whiz
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    @eggzillajr Please explain the benefit of asking everyone to manually do what would be easier done automatically (and consistently) by the forum software. If you ask us to do it manually, it most likely won't be done as often as needed to be useful, because some won't bother and even more won't have learned to do it.

- dan
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    This new forum is going to be a great tool for all of us, you just have to get used to it....just like when the "old" forum came out, you advanced with it.
    The big change in the old forum to the new change in the old forum didn't eliminate one of the major features - the option of Classic View.

I would think by now, someone on the vanilla forum might realize that feature is important to a lot of people - but keep telling us the linear view is going to be 'great'. There are a lot of people putting their money where their mouth is in order to keep the classic view.

Just say'n...

GG
  • Tweev, the joke goes something like this. It may have been an engineer, come to think of it. Anyway, it's about the difference between what happens when an engineer, a service person and a sales person visit a, uh, shall we say, lady of pleasure? The engineer just sits there and tells her how it all works. The sales person just sits there and tells her how great it's going to be (hence the relevance to this forum). The service person tells her he'll have it up in just a few minutes..... (Sorry)
    The Naked Whiz
  • :"> Purple TNW :">
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    I said sorry, Billy..... :-))

And Tweev did ask..... :-D
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ok -- Maybe I'll meet up with you @Firehouse Casual. ;-)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Tweev, the joke goes something like this. It may have been an engineer, come to think of it. Anyway, it's about the difference between what happens when an engineer, a service person and a sales person visit a, uh, shall we say, lady of pleasure? The engineer just sits there and tells her how it all works. The sales person just sits there and tells her how great it's going to be (hence the relevance to this forum). The service person tells her he'll have it up in just a few minutes..... (Sorry)
    Be prepared for Judy in Mayberry, the forum nun, to come down on you.
  • I thought maybe nobody was looking since they are all over at the Original Forum. :-))
    The Naked Whiz
  • musuoka, that is the format for posting a link on the Original Forum. I don't think it works here. I can't find any information about how to do stuff like that, though I've asked. You can't post the URL of a photo either. Eventually, maybe they will post instructions for actually using the forum's features.
    The Naked Whiz
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I just posted a similar message about quoting and the css styles there in.

Apparently it's already been brought up.

my bad...
  • So I have a boatload of smilies, but I can't bold or italic my own text... wah?
    Italics and BOLD text have been fairly standard on the web since Al Gore invented it, Tweev.

Captain Spaulding
  • Captain, did you have to use HTML to do that? Obviously the ability to highlight text and then click on a bold or italic button is more intuitive for most folks. I doubt very many people know even simple HTML.
    The Naked Whiz
  • CaptainSpaulding
    CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
    edited August 2011
    Yes, sir. I've got to believe that there's a plugin for the functionality in vanilla. If enough of the regular crowd migrates over, I don't mind roughing it a bit. Obviously the greatest asset on the forum has always been the wonderfully talented and diverse, unselfish posters.

Only time will tell what happens. To deal with reading the posts on the old forum, I had a Perl script bookmark that would reparse the opened post in a 30pt font, making it readable on the iPhone.

Cheers,

Joe
  • SCGrizz
    SCGrizz Posts: 5
    Visit any forum that uses vBulletin. To me, they are easier to read, see what you haven't read, quote, post pictures and navigate than either this forum or the old one.

Here's an example: http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/forums/index.php