Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Like the new layout

Farffle
Farffle Posts: 7
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
I am not quite sure why everyone hates the new forum.  It is much easier to get around and I don't have to click 100 times to read each reply.  They are all there to read.  Looks nice.  Good job!

Comments

• CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    I agree.  Still a few bugs to work out, but I think it's going to be great!
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    edited August 2011
  • skyhopsing
    skyhopsing Posts: 107
    Vast improvement !
  • Let's take a vote to go back to the old one.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    What makes you think this forum is run as a democracy?

Personally, I'd like to let this one bake for a little while before there are any knee-jerk reactions. I know some of the things that people are griping about are configurable options by the administrators. Give them some (constructive) feedback and a little time, and just perhaps it will get better.

While I'm not in love with this one just yet, the old forum was horrible. I think people only like it because they were used to it.

Onward and upward...

__Jason
  • The new layout is much easier to read. I like being able to read an entire thread with ONE click.
    XL and M BGE.
  • Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    I think it is a progression towards something better.  It is certainly a lot cleaner than the old forum, just needs a few updates.  

I would like to see a "reply to post" feature so that you can quote a particular user easily.
  • Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    edited August 2011
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45
    i have only been on the old forum for about a month and then this comes out i think that is is nice and easyer to navigate for newbies took me some time to figure out the old one 

i do like that old part were it kept track of how many posts someone has done 
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    I love also the new layout. Very, very big improvement.

I know a lot of guys that haven´t joined the eggheadforum due to the bad layout...

I think there is now a big chance to get new members with this layout.

It´s way to go !
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    I like the new layout as well.  Much faster.  Improvements will come.
    __________ Chris
  • To Farffle

FYI The OLD Forum was also able to be read in this SAME way in "Flat View", you were obviously reading in "Classic View" if you had to click on each post to read. 

BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    This new forum seems to be really slugish to respond and the posts jump all over the place. Like all changes it will take some time to get used to it but i'm not liking it so far. Definitly not mobile phone friendly.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    RobM,  Will there be a clasic type views at some point in time?

For me the flat view was pretty confusing with regard to responding to comments in a post.  There is a lot more scrolling and mouse clicking to navigate in this view style.

Kent.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    My predictions were that about 1/3 of the regulars would hate a change. 1/2 of the 2/3 would just be neutral and the other 1/2 of the 2/3 would like it. Of course anybody fairly new or brand new would not know the difference.

I think that is playing out but there are a lot of regulars who really hate this and will probably move on to other boards. That is actually fine because the board has changed dramatically in the last few years. No one needs the advice they needed in the year's past because the new folks are quickly becoming the veterans. Consider this like combat, promotions come fast and furious. Welcome to the new world.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Your prediction is close to a traditional prediction about most things including change.  The formula is 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.  It applies to sales, ideas, sales and most anything in life.

With regards to sales, 1/3 won't like an item, 1/3 will like an item and 1/3 won't care one way or the other.  As you showed above pretty close, 1/3 will like, 1/3 won't like and again 1/3 won't care.  The newcomers won't know.

I am trying to adjust but unless there is a 'classic type view' I don't think I will be around much at all.  This format is just too hard to follow, too much mouse clicking and scrolling.
  • MelMM
    MelMM Posts: 2
    Gotta say, I find this easier to navigate and it is running  a lot faster for me. There are some features missing, but I assume they will be addressing that in the near future.
  • It will take some getting used to, but change is good.

Today's world...change or get left behind.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited August 2011
    my thoughts are a third drop out within the next few weeks, and a second third within three to six months as the forum atmosphere will change fast with the first third gone. not the normal changing of the guards.  finally got smiley function to work, lost with photobucket uploading :-"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    well thought i had smileys working right, it deleted everthing after the smiley
    :-S
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Not too bad....
  • Grandpas Grub
    I tend to agree with fishlessman.

A lot would change if they would have a view change to classic view style which would help keep the 'kitchen table' feel of the forum. 

For me this flat view is pretty tough and a lot of effort to keep up with.  It takes a lot of wind out of the sail, for me anyway.

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I was all for changing up the old forum to something modern. This ain't it.

I don't understand why they wouldn't go with something like VBulletin, phpBB, UBB or something similar that just about all Internet forums and BBs use.

There are also no post times, just dates.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I do like that when you post a reply to an older topic, the topic gets bumped to the top of the forum.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    bump ;-)
    context is important :)
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    @Grandpas Grub... I really hope you change your mind as I have always found your posts to look tasty, be fair to others, and insightful.

In this thread you outline why change is also painful.  The views etc... that you liked make it clunky and slow for me to follow.  Seeing all of the posts on a subject in one page load, for the most part, makes it practical for me to view.  It was cumbersome and an incredibly slow experience to need to click on a link to every reply just so I could know who was talking to who.  Flat view could be equally un-enjoyable because I didn't always know who was talking to who.  And there is the loop... one way is not good, the solution is just bad in another way .

I suppose you and I and many others could go back and forth about why we liked what we like about the old and the new.  Bottom line... I hope you, and others, find a way to stay that doesn't make us go back to the old style as I think that drives many folks off too-- some good folks that we never get to meet.  
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    "Apply for Membership"... ???.... How about "Join our Gang"... or something more inviting. Having the "classic" view options was handy... You could see how many and who had responded to a thread before you dove into it. Having a comment "bump" a thread to the top is good, though.
  • EGG JuJu, how is this any different from flat view as far as knowing how is talking to who goes?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    EGG JuJu, how is this any different from flat view as far as knowing how is talking to who goes?
    It seems you'll need to quote the person to whom you are responding.