Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEWS FLASH! Poultry Can Contain Salmonella!

Options
guzzijason
guzzijason Posts: 143
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Why didn't someone warn us?!? Oh, wait... they did. Alot.

In fact, it seems like that throughout our entire lives, we're conditioned to treat raw poultry like hazardous material. And now, low and behold, an actual contaminated lot of ground turkey shows up, and people are shocked and surprised, while 38 million lbs gets recalled. Just strikes me as a little odd, I guess.

__Jason

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I agree.  Didn't those people cook it?
    The Naked Whiz
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Next youll be saying that water can be wet.

Crazy talk.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A big problem is cross contamination. Use a knife to open the turkey package, don't wash it, and then slice up some iceberg lettuce (which will not be cooked at all), and leave the leftover salad sit in the 'fridge a few days. Uh-oh :(
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yeah, gdenby, I suppose that's more likely than people not cooking it enough. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    An unwashed knife is just the tip of the iceberg....people like to re-use plastic grocery sacks, not bothering to throw out the ones used to tote home meat/poultry.  Put tomorrow's lunch in it, stick it in the fridge overnight, and bingo--lick your fingers after opening your yogurt cup, and you too could be a lucky winner in the salmonella lottery.

My point is:  people aren't as tidy in the kitchen as they used to be.  If your dishwasher isn't on the "hot" or "heavy wash" or "sanitize" setting, it may not get hot enough to kill all the critters growing on a plastic cutting board.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    And people think I am crazy for using color coded cutting boards.  I think all households should at LEAST have a yellow cutting board dedicated to raw chicken ONLY.  ;-)