Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a day a difference makes. ; >)

Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Didn't see this coming. Cool though. Where's the emoticons, I don't have the vocabulary to express myself adequately. haha

Comments

• Sure hope BGE didn't pay someone to come up with this mess.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    what i like best about it is that you dont know who is posting to whom. go back and look at a really long thread from the past and its as jumbled as can be hahahaha
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    They didn't even add/enable any type of quoting mechanism either. Its going to look like someone regurgitated over a facebook wall.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Baychilla - we will be adding other features in the next week or two that will give you those options.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    edited August 2011
    @BGERob

Why did you all pick vanilla and not something more mainstream?

This Facebook clone is just... I dunno.

EDIT: Wow, you all are paying for this software!?! Just wow!

http://www.simplemachines.org/ <-- FREE!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    "Wow, you all are paying for this software!"

Oh my, wow indeed!!!   I hope not.

GG

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Vanilla is free open source forum software. It looks as if they are using Vanilla forums to host this. If you hover over a topic you can see the URL usually on the bottom left of your screen for most browsers.

The good part of using a forum like this it's free and open source. The bad part is it's free and open source. Open source stuff is notorious for being hacked because all of the information is freely available.

For those experiencing the login issues in IE6 and the I-pads and I-phones and probably any other non current compliant browser just send an e-mail to promotions@biggreenegg.com and tell Rob he needs to change the login permissions to allow Garden.SignIn. They really should do it for all but there are too many users to do that so they will probably need to handle it on a case by case basis.

You can find out about Vanilla forum software at http://vanillaforums.org/addons  that particular page is all the add ons that are available so you can see what we have or could have just out of the box.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Damn, I'd have paid an annual fee to join if you'd have picked something like vbullitan. I'm not able to even log in from work and this looks horrible on a mobile.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624

Firetruck, To add an emotions simply click on the smiling face while posting a comment. A drop down bunch of faces are there for you to use. You will find the smiling face to the far right at the top of the box.

:D
  • deepsouth
    This is like from bad to worse. Sorry.
  • deepsouth
    i was able to log in after unchecking the keep me logged in button. also, i know i type fast, but this thing seems to have major hiccups.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    The unchecking of the Keep Me logged in button got me in. Thanks. Now to figure out some of the other stuff here.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • deepsouth
    also, to comment, i have to click on the "write comment" box, which proceeds to open a page that is like 4000405050 web pages long, then save the draft, then go back and post it...
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    deepsouth, you are walking me through this beautifully. It seems that all my problems mirror what you are solving. Thanks
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • deepsouth
    no worries.

this time it's not giving me the super long page. let's see what happens....
  • deepsouth
    let me post that one, but having to save this one to post it.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    edited August 2011
    SimpleMachine is also free and open source and has had very few issues in the last year.  I know because I run this software over at http://forum.pfsense.org.  At this point I would be grateful if this sites template just did not pretend to be facebook.

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Deep South: I am with you! Every time I try to comment I get a comment box that is never ending. I have to save draft to post. Plus, every time I try to write a comment on my home computer, it freezes up! Having to write this on my wife's lap top. Also, I don't like the fact there is not signature page. I can't remember anyone's name now, or see where they are from. My handle is gone so this is RaleighGuy.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• baychilla
    Going with what GeekGod said, this aside from a speed boost seems to be a solution to something there wasn't a problem for.

I suppose if you like what Facebook/myspace/linkedin offer, they're good for that, but none of them are decent forum software.

I love my egg, liked browsing/learning from the old forums, but this new format vacuums mule posterior.  Sorry, but someone dropped the ball to the point they should be seeking new employment post haste.
  • Yikes ... this is going to take some getting used to

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Guys, guys, give it a few days!  Major transfers like this will inevitably have hiccups; and I personally already think we're in a better spot than we were.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• baychilla
    If I could quote you Botch, Id agree.  Speedwise.  Every other way, no.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Gotta agree with Botch on this one, give it a week or so, and I think most of us will feel  more comfortable with this new format.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    [quote:]If I could quote you Botch, Id agree.  Speedwise.[/quote:]
    :D

(let's see if that worked...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    edited August 2011
    Hope there is a little change in direction.

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Gotta agree with Botch on this one, give it a week or so, and I think
    most of us will feel  more comfortable with this new format.

Sorry Mike, I'm the opposite on this one. I like to see who responded to a post and who responded directly to me without the whole story. I never was a fan of changing the old clunky way because it felt more like sitting around a table with everyone you were talking with now I'm not sure you will even notice this.

BTW I'm responding to fieroguy
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ewwww, this is not warm and fuzzy anymore. We can't see who's online either.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I am a little confused but that is normal. :) 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Okay after unchecking the remember me box I can sign in. I do like that active threads stay "floated to the top". We need the quote feature though.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Trying to figure this out. Hmmmm.  Agree with many of the comments above:

1) Can't tell who I'm responding to or anyone else's responses for that matter.
    2) Quote function.
    3) Hanging in there for a week or so to see if bugs get worked out once it's gone live.
    4) Sig lines were a nice feature.

Clark
    Madison, MS