Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart Royal Oak clearing out

Options
dubah
dubah Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to one Walmart and called 3, in the Denver metro area, to find they're all clearing or have cleared out their stock in favor of "back to school" goods.
I got one fella to hang on to the last 9 bags till I get there aft. work.
I don't remember them doing this in the past, around here, but back to school must mean major bucks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Happens every end of season... Same here in our area. Better pick up what you can to get through the fall and winter season.

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I got another 20 bags a couple weeks ago

charcoal.jpg
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    Silly question :blush: Do I need to stock up on lump for the winter? I am new to this game. And I want to have enough to get through the lean times. LOL
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    that depends on your area. here in utah, walmart has already stopped ordering new royal oak. what they have is all I am going to see until next spring. my consumption is 15 bags over the winter, but that is more because of the small and mini that see a lot of use. If you are in a colder environment, I would consider stocking up. Or, you can get bge lump at dealers during the winter, and cowboy at home depot/lowes as well.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    not a silly question at all! It really depends on where you live. In many places the silly notion is people only grill during Memorial Day to Labor Day and its all over!!! 11 years ago I had to make 30 pounds of lump last me Feb, Mar & April! Never again!!! Right now I have 690 pounds on hand!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I better swing by mine tomorrw. Thanks for the heads up Larry.
    We need to talk soon. You are bringing stuff and so is Staci.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you have a Korger or Korger owned chain in you area, last year, they would order in as little as 1 bag anytime I wanted it. Kroger lump is packaged for Kroger by Royal Oak. You need to verify this in your area.

It is a real pain in the butt when we run out in the winter.

GG
  • cookn biker
    Options
    There is Wicked Good in Denver Kent.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Oh, that hurts!!!! I haven't even seen any of that around these parts.

• cookn biker
    Options
    Are you driving here?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Do you guys have a restaurant depot near you. They have the #20 bags out here in beautiful and broke California. I get a great lump at my Raleys for $6 for small #8 bags.
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    Dude thats crazy my wife would make me sleep outside. She already gets mad at all the fishing lures laying around thats alot of lump!!
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the head's up on this. I've been to several Walmat stores since seeing this post. I scored 9 bags at one store and the other two stores didn't have any Royal Oak. I plan to visit a few more stores soon.

I'd love to try Ozark Oak based on the feedback here, but can't find anyone who carries it my neck of the woods. I also picked up two bags of Cowboy to try. Looks like Cowboy may be my only readily available local option as there are a few Lowes stores in the area.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Right now I am not sure. We might have to try and fly because of my wife's work. All that is still up in the air (not flying - the trip). She has to get someone to cover for her and that is presenting a problem. I am still optimistic though.

I had the same thoughts about the WG.

Kent
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Ron, I don't mean to offend you but, dude you have issues if you have 690 pounds of lump! :woohoo: :woohoo: ;) I thought people started looking at me funny when I had 250 pounds on hand. You may want to get that checked out ;) .