Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone have a CSA subscription???

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I subscribed to a CSA this year. It stands for community supported agriculture. We paid a farmer a 1 time fee for the year this spring. Once the farmer started harvesting we received a share of his crops each week. So far it has been awesome! We found our farmer on this website

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M14581

This week we got onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, jalapenos, garlic, beets, and green beens. All of these veggies are locally grown and of excellent quality. I will most definitely do this again. It is nice because it forces us to eat more veggies. It also offers a nice opportunity to try to cook more veggies on my egg (which I don't do enough of). Tonight I roasted some beets, and sauteed the greens with onion, garlic, EVOO, red wine viniger,salt and pepper. The beet greens were awesome. I will make them again for sure.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    We have that here also. Glad to hear it is getting you guys out of the box in eating and cooking. That's great! Some of the veggies will be freezable to save for the winter months.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    I would like to do some pickling of some of these veggies also. It is a very good value when you consider what you get for the money.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    You got that right. They do all the work, plus you support the local farms!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Yeah it is a win/win all the way around. My wife is pregnant so the more veggie she eats the better for the baby. I have to believe that the locally grown veggies from the CSA have far less in the way of harmful chemicals compared to the grocery store.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Bingo!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"