Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems coming up to temp

Options
biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg is giving me grief.

Is it fair to say that if the lump you're using is too small, there's less opportunity for air to come through, even with both vents wide open and the ash cleared out, which will make it more difficult to get the temperature up? And if that's the case, a solution is to either replace the lump or burn it off?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It is probably that the air holes in the fire grate and fire box are blocked or the lump directly above is packed too tight. A wiggle rod through the bottom of the fire grate will resolve your problem.

This is all used lump from previous cooks and all not much bigger than a thumb to the first knuckle and smaller.

smalllumptst1.jpg

smalllumptst4.jpg

smalllumptst3.jpg

No special care was done with loading other than making sure no lump pieces were stuck in or clogging the holes in the fire grate.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    When the lump gets that small simply scoop it all out, clean the egg throughly, pour in new lump and then pour in the old lump on top to burn it off.
  • I read on here earlier about someone that dumps their lump into a bin and sorts it by size. Then you can add a few larger pieces at the bottom and then some medium pieces, and then just add the smaller, used pieces on top. That will allow the air to flow through and it will also use that lump without wasting it.

Best wishes,
    Chad
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Well, you can sure do that, or I recommend using a wiggle rod to stir up the holes in the fire grate, then use a hair dryer through the lower vent to really get things going!

:woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon