Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon rind

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to smoke my first bacon in about 7 days and wondering once its done when is the best time ( and how) do I remove the rind?

And has anyone seen a slicing jig, so I can cut even slices by hand?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have cut the rind off the bacon and cut into 1 inch pieces and deep fried for Chicharrón. I have an electric slicer and cut the bacon after resting in frig overnight.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I remove the skin prior to smoking (just like skinning a fish filet). Then slice the skin and fry it into chiccarones like Richard FL said. You can leave the skin on if you want to while smoking, but, that is a lot of smoked surface flavor you will be removing after! :( Remove prior to smoking, IMO.
    Don't attempt to cut the bacon until it chills and sets up overnight.
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    We talking about the same stuff? The rind I mention is a thick almost like carboard underneath the belly.

Thanks
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    You've got me stumped! Cardboard like? I was talking skin....can you post a photo?? Belly?
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    It like the bottom of the bottom of the pork belly. White and thick and hard, maybe it is skin? Cant take a pic until its done curing ( all wrapped up)
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    LC helped me out with some bacon about a week ago. The skin on my bacon was pretty wrinkly, just get a knife underneath it and cut at a slight upward angle. You will get the hang of it no problem. I still have to post the pics of my cook.