Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX Spider question

Options
Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had Tom send me a Spider and Woo3. When TREX'ing steaks with the spider what temp. is the egg running? I am guessing someplace between 400 and 500 degrees. And as a side note this fourm is got to be the friendliest one I have ever been on. I am inviolved in the shooting sports and those fourms are downright mean to the newcomers. Thank you for being such a great group of people.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I don't really go by a specific temp.
    I judge by how hot the lump looks and the area it covers below my cooking grid.
    If I'm cooking several steaks I want a good hot, even fire below the entire cooking grid. If I only have one or two steaks then I only need a hot spot big enough to cover what I'm cooking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If your lump is glowing red the lump is about 1,000°. Lava looking orange and a bit molten you are about 1600° - 1800° and a white look something around or over 2000°.

It really doesn't matter how hot the dome thermometer is reading.

For searing steaks, I load the lump to the height of the spider. If I am doing a lot of steaks I load higher and invert the spider. I get the lump to a red glow. The dome usually is usually +/- 400°. I sear at lump level, leave the grid and put on the raised grid for the roast part of the cook. Works fantastic.

Here is the same theory using my mini. The fire ring is very light and it is easy to install after the cook is going.

mini_steak1.jpg

mini_steak2.jpg

mini_steak3.jpg

mini_steak4.jpg

mini_steak5.jpg

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I'm in agreement with the answers above. I usually have my egg stabilized around 400* +/-, then when I am ready to cook, I open the dome, and wait a couple minutes until the coals come to life. Then sear. No need to get the Egg nuclear when you are searing close to the lump. Make sure you put your grid in to pre-heat a while, also.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    90% of the time I will be cooking no more than three steaks. And a majority of that 90% it will be just two steaks. Would it be good in the intrest of saving lump to the place the spider between the fire box and the fire ring. Kinda of curious what your thoughts would be. :cheer: Doing my first long smoke this weekend :woohoo: :woohoo: Let the pork butt be tender and delicious :P
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Kent, I see your pictures are of the Mini.

But for the Large...There's something I've always been confused about, using the spider. I've seen pictures of smaller grids on the spider, down near the coals. Do they use a Small grid for that? I don't have a CI grid and don't intend to get one, but I swear I've seen pictures of a smaller grid on the spider and have never seen one for sale, beside the original Small grid.

I use a CI griddle with the handle sawn off on the spider. I like the entire steak charred, not just the grid marks. But it's a pain to remove it to put the regular grid back on for roasting.
    Judy in San Diego
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    At the CGS website, they say the BGE CI grid for the small egg (13" diameter) fits perfectly on the spider rig for a large egg. Hope this helps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have a large CI grid and use it very seldom. The size of grid you can put on the spider will depend if your large is a later version or earlier version (about 3 years old or older). The medium grid will fit in the older larges and the small grid or a ground down medium grid will fit on the newer version of the large.

In my early days I went caveman, meat right down on the lump and that works just fine. I saw a post a few weeks ago where someone put a grid directly on the lump and that is another great option and would work well. If I didn't have the spider I would use the grid on lump method.

When using the spider I load the lump to where is is all but touching the grid on the spider.

Last week I picked up a Weber Cast Iron searing grid 22.5". The Cast Iron searing grid isn't that large rather about the size that will fit on a small. I am looking forward to using that.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Adam, the safe bet is the samll. However, older larges will accommodate a medium CI grid. 2Fategghead had to grind down the outside edge of a medium CI grid in order to get it to fit.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Use the same method as I showed above. Grid on the fire box for the sear, then remove (or have a second grid on hand) replace the fire ring and grid on top then the meat. This way there is no need to have an excessively hot egg, no gasket issue and no waiting for an egg to cool down enough to the roast part of the cook.

I like my steaks medium rare, some pink, and on most out of the counter steaks a 90 second sear on each side with no roast time will get me to that level of being done. My wife likes close to or medium so I have to do a roast on her meat. Any thick steaks have to have a roast stage.

Another option is an end sear. Hot tub the steak and then sear or roast the steak then do an end sear.

GG

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Good to know. Just got my spider and will be looking for a CI grid to use for searing verrrryyy soon.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    Thanks for the info