Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potatoes

Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I know when they are done? When you check them with the thermapen, what temp do you pull them at?

Should I use foil or not? I was also thinking of using some type of oil and rolling them in salt so they taste like my favorite steakhouse...Outback! Thoughts?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

There are a lot of methods that have been shared on the forum.

They are done at about 212°. I used to cook them until I got a easy fork stick into the spud. Now I use the thermapen.

I oil them with evoo and roll in course sea salt. If you use foil you may as well do them in the oven or nuke them. The wood cook makes them real tasty. Cooking direct much above 400° make sure you turn them and move on the grid so one doesn't get stuck in a hot spot.

Great eats.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I just squezze them to see if indent. If they do then they are done. Treat your grill just like your oven. Dependiong on size 400 for 1 hour should be good. Good luck to all.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    All the above sounds good, but then I love tatters :P
    Here is what I have been doing lately.

Nuke large Idaho on high for 3-6 minutes (6 if two), let them cool to handle (unless you have asbestos fingers like me), quarter them, roll in EVOO, kosher salt on skin and pop them on grill cook direct .
    They will not take long to cook and crisp up. They delicious steak fries. Serve with sour cream mixed with chives, black pepper and pepper flakes or whatever floats your boat :laugh:

FYI if you nuke them just after rinsing, the skin can fall off while quartering. I have found my Shun tomato knife is the best for quartering without losing the skin.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    You aren't a member of the Long Timers Club, A Member of the Inner Clique, OR part of the seemingly growing members of an apparent Posse, so I guess I can't answer that question. I am apparently supposed to be rude to you instead. :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:
  • Crimsongator
    Well I have been accused of Old Timers Disease, I have been trained to salivate when I hear a click and....and I have been to a Sheriff's Possee rodeo before!

Does that count for anything?
  • Grandpas Grub

Hellsbells Michelle, you and are the definition of the 'old times' an inner clique folks. :) Hope you and Tim are doing well.

Kent
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    1.Pull @ 212 f internal.
    2. NO
    3.GREAT idea!

Good Luck. :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm with GG on the cooking style but I just cook them til they are soft to squeeze but I'm sure the thermapen is a better idea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I will make this simple..
    not implying anything at all.... :whistle:
    1. I go to 210 with the thermopen
    2. I put a couple tsp of EVO in a plastic bag and roll my taters in there to coat
    3. and then toss in a little sea salt. and rub again in the baggie. perfect every time and my hands do not get all oily.
  • Grandpas Grub

Squeeze test has worked for me for a long long time. Someone else posted the 212° temperature. Spuds are pretty forgiving to cook.

Baked spuds sound pretty darn good for dinner tonight, potato bar it is.

Kent
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Oh don't leave me out, whatever I had missed.
  • Crimsongator
    So have you actually done a potato cook to 212* or just passing along shared information?
  • Grandpas Grub

Yup, read the post and gave it a try on the next potato cook. At 212° it fork tested fine and squish tested as normal.

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Who the hell are you callin old? You got 5 days on me old man... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: The only click I got comes from my knees. As far as cooking spuds Gene, I would suggest that you sit on one till the internal temp gets 125 degs, then nuke it to 375 degs. It is kinda like sous vide, just quicker! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Crimsongator
    Is that the way Julie did hers to make your infamous list?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I would not get on Julie's bad side. She WILL hook your a$$ up!.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub

:laugh: :laugh:

Hey, I got the knee click too.

Kent
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mainegg, that is a great tip. I had never thought of doing it in a zip lock bag before, but will do that from now on. See....that's why we come to this forum and why it makes it such a great place. I learn something new every day. Well, maybe not every day, but close enough. Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Gene ya birdbrain. :P Outback blows goats. :woohoo:

remember to poke'em :laugh: a little olive oil and coat with Raising the steaks B)

Blownspud.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub

Nice tip, thanks.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

That's amazing to see. I have never seen a potato burst.

I have wondered if the meat is more moist if it is not poked.