Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Does Not Fit

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Large Egg since 1999 and never had a problem with either my rain cap or daisy wheel falling off.

But I recall there was a rash of problems while back that resulted in a number of broken rain caps and daisy wheels. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time and thought perhaps 'Lubricated Eggcitement' may be causing it.

We purchased the large Egg for sale that HornHonk posted about last week. I've been cleaning it up for the birthday boy in New Orleans and noticed how the Daisy Wheel had a lot of 'slip' to it when I started raising the dome. I was absolutely certain that it would fall off if I lifted the dome all the way back.

So I wondered if perhaps there was something wrong with the Daisy Wheel or even the dome neck itself.

I placed my 1999 Daisy Wheel on the Egg and sure 'nuff it fit the same way and would have fallen off if I had lifted all the way up.

I realize the answer is to just tell my BIL to take the Daisy Wheel off each time he feels compelled to look inside. But that's no fun, especially when the Egg is supposed to be smarter than the average cook and able to take care of itself. Then there's the matter of when he might be a wee bit 'over-fluided with the necter of the gods' and subject to lapses of recall. Clang - Shatter - %&#! - Now What!!!

Rather than debate the reason for the obvious difference in the Egg's neck size, I'm asking what creative ideas y'all came up with to fix it.

I've already thought of perhaps grinding the inside of the Daisy Wheel maybe up about half an inch. Judy seems to recall someone sticking some leftover gasket material inside the Daisy Wheel to help hold it on the neck. And there's always the option of not cleaning off the gunk from the neck or the Daisy Wheel.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, experiences or appropriate cuss words would be deeply depreciated.

Spring "Gotta Neck Hold On It" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

PS Yes, I know I could have just asked "What can I do about my Daisy Wheel falling off?" and saved you some reading time. But where's the fun in that?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    You need a can of "Gunk in a Hurry" to spray on the inside of the DFMT. :whistle:
    Sorry Leroy . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Spring Chicken: We added a layer of gasket material around the neck of the chimney. DFMT
    fits good and snug! :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Leroy, had the same problem on the mini and just like LC said add it to the egg. Works great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    just don't use it. i don't. except for lo n slo and next time. i'm going to try THAT without it.

didn't eggs originally come without a dfmt anyway? before my time, so just askin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I have a 4 year old egg and an almost 1 year old egg. Both caps fit nicely on the older egg and both caps just don't feel right on the newer egg. Its almost like the newer egg is not quite round and flares out more on on the front. I am a bit more careful when opening the newer egg. Also I have an innie and a outie. The logo on the old egg is an innie and the new one is an outie.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    LeRoy,
    When I got my egg last January my dealer had already put some gasket inside the DFMT. I don't see it but know it is there and the top is secure. I'm planning on doing the same to my small egg.
  • Spring Chicken
    Hey, that's a great idea! BGE could sell bookoos of it to Newbies who wanted to impress guests with just how much they have been cooking on the Egg.

And we all know that Gook sticks the cap on really good.

On behalf of BGE, thanks...

Spring "Gotta Love Good Ideas" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I figured that would be the easiest way to fix it. Maybe BGE Should do it before the Daisy Wheel gets all Gooked up.

Thanks.

Spring "A Little Gasket Goes A Long Way" Chicken
  • I have an idea, though I will preface it by requesting the following: Will someone on the forum who owns 1 of the infrared thermometers please shoot the neck of the Egg when in use to determine how hot it gets, and the temp of the smoke coming out of it? :whistle:

Assuming it's less than the temp needed to melt this stuff, might I suggest using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Drawer-Cabinet-Padded-Mat/dp/B0019KGHY8

You can use spray adhesive to hold it on. I use these non-slip drawer mats ALL the time in the garage - everything from placing them underneath pieces of wood that I'm sanding, to covering the jaws on a set of pliers so I don't scratch whatever it is I'm using the pliers on, to laying it under things I'm leaning against the wall so that it doesn't slide down the wall. :P

Another option similar is the "spray on rubber" (with the same "temperature" caveat above):

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/spray-paint/performix-brand-spray-black-rubber-coating-performix-brand-spray-98266.html

That being said, I've never used it for the DFMT, as I don't have the problem of mine not fitting. :lol:

Anyway, this is just a thought...

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Spring Chicken
    Will do Pat. It's gotta work 'cause it worked for you.

Thanks.

Spring "Works Everywhere Else" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Before my time too. I cooked with the Rain Cap cocked to the back for over a year before someone told me there was a better way. Never had a problem cocking it back and it never fell off.

I prefer to use upper and lower controls but I think the Egg could cook either way with ease.

Spring "Twenty-Percent Half Cocked" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    "innie!" "outie!" Uh... we were talking about the BGE, weren't we? LOL

Just kidding. Mine is an innie, it think. Says Big Green Egg on the front of the dome anyway.

BGE's success was built on the old time larges. They must have worn out the mold for it. It would explain the 'outies' that are coming out now.

Spring "Got Me An Antique Egg" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Good dealer. He saw a problem and fixed it before it before it became a problem.

Spring "No Complaints Are Better Than One Complaint" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I actually tried that when I got my infrared thermometer a couple of weeks ago. I forget how hot it was but it was definitely hotter than the dome thermometer said it was inside. But it wasn't really that much of a difference.

I'll take a second look at the links. And try measuring the temp on the Egg next time.

Thanks.

Spring "Hot Is A Relative Term" Chicken
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    My 2001 DW isn't a tight fit, it's a totally loose fit. But I still have the old auto-lock hinge. I've ascribed these flying tops to perhaps the spring hinge simply opening up more?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Well, the Plasti-Dip stuff says it's good to 200 degrees F. Now, not sure what the Temp ratings are for the spray adhesive or the non-slip mat.

And wait, you're saying the temp on the outside of the Egg was hotter than the temp reading on the inside of the dome? That seems - very odd - and contrary to the insulative properties of the ceramic??? :S :huh:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I don't think I would put gasket material on the inside of the daisy, as at times one wants to get it hot to clean and to re-oil.

Put some gasket material or hi-temp silicone on the outside of the top vent, a piece of stiff cardboard with a cutout would make a nice 'form' for a nice small taper, clean edges and a even coat around the neck. That would also serve to snug up the ceramic dome.

Sounds like some of the factories molds had been changed some.

GG
  • Spring Chicken
    I can assure you it was hotter than 200°. I think the gasket suggestions is the way to go.

Thanks.

Spring "Real Hot Is Hotter Than Hot" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I replaced my scissor band on the large with a spring assist band a few years ago. My small came with the spring assist band. Now the only one left is the mini which still has the scissor band. I'll dress the mini up one of these days.

As I get older I like the idea of spring assist anything.

Spring "Wound Down" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Good point on the placement of the gasket material.

I'll just leave it up to BIL to do as he pleases.

Thanks.

Spring "Not Stuck In Place" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I might be think of something else but as I recall BGE was doing something with a replacement. Might be worth a phone call.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I got a second large egg a couple of years ago and the daisy rocked on the neck of the dome. Hummmm, not a proper fit, I want (need) the daisy to sit all the way down to eliminate the gap between the ceramic vent and the cast iron for a good seal. This was when the "new" eggs were out with larger more pronounced dimples. New molds and a slightly different dimension as I compared my older egg to the new.
    My fix, I shortened the side walls and I also ground out the lower insides of the daisy to accommodate the radius of the ceramic neck. (vent is shorter on new egg) A lot of work with wheel grinder and die grinder. I got the daisy to sit all the way down but it was then sloppy left to right. A patch of felt gasket inside the daisy fix that issue. Still, when all is said and done the egg should come out of manufacturing with good fitting parts. There are shrink rates calibrated for ceramics as well as cast iron and patterns for molds are created accordingly so that parts fit to specific tolerance. Along with a new egg there is a new daisy top so new molds all around for the large egg were created. I wonder why this issue of a rocking and tippy daisy was not addressed in design and manufacturing before management gave the "green" light to start production? :huh:
    I'll get off my soap box now.
    Good luck fixing the problem.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I had the same proble. All that is necessary is to take a piece of gasket material and go around the chimney in a circle. Cut off the excess. Push the daisey wheel down. If it is snug at first, it will eventually "wear down" to a perfect fit. I think either RRP or Grampa (Kent) gave me that fix. Has worked like a champ ever since.

Hope all is well.
  • Spring Chicken
    Maybe they've grown so large that they are starting to think like the government: "Close enough for government work." LOL

If necessary, I'll just fall back on Patience and Tolerance mixed with Adjustment and Replacement.

Spring "Please Give Me Patience And Be Quick About It" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    We'll probably try that. If it doesn't work my brother in law lives just down the street from you and he can come see what we did wrong.

Spring "There Are Advantages To Living In Egg-Neighborville" Chicken
  • I was in Ace Hardware recently and they were selling the Kamado Joe. Just looked at it to compare, and it comes with the felt/gasket material around the chimney base rim to create a good seal with metal top. I thought that was a good idea when I saw it, and seems like would solve those with loose top problem on an Egg.
  • I was in Ace Hardware recently and they were selling the Kamado Joe. Just looked at it to compare, and it comes with the felt/gasket material around the chimney base rim to create a good seal with metal top. I thought that was a good idea when I saw it, and seems like would solve those with loose top problem on an Egg.
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    All this description on where to put the gasket material would be helped by a picture. Did you put it on the top of the vent opening, or around the circumference of the vent?

Someone got a picture of what they did to keep the cap from falling off?

- dan