Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

been using cowboy lump more and more

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
never hated the stuff but if you have complained about it before, their newr bags this summer keep getting better and better. now eveyone will complain that its harder to light, has that lump charcoal flavor, and those lousy long no ash burn times etc... etc....etc :laugh:

002-29.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Obviously, you're satisfied with it. It is the least expensive of the selections at my dealer and I've been thinking of giving it a try. Been using RO almost exclusively.........should I change?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I have been using it all year. Prior to Christmas Ace Hardware had a 50% email coupon. I think they were good for one day, the Saturday following Black Friday. I printed out a number of them and went around to several stores and stocked up on 20# bags for $6-$7 each. By the end of the day I had 100# stashed away. I'm single and my medium egg and I do not use great amounts of lump, it is lasting very well.

I have found nothing wrong with Cowboy lump, it does seem to burn a little faster than RO but not enough to effect any of my cooks. The appearance, flavor and everything else is pretty similar. For that price I will buy it again. :)

Blair

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

This sure doesn't look like the cowboy lump that I have. I have only seen it at Lowes and the wood is tongue and groove flooring pieces. 8 or 10 pound bags for 6 bucks and some change.

GG
  • fishlessman
    the stuff here has been changing over to regular style lump from the traditional board scraps they used to be. almost seems to be dense like the old wicked good and is much harder to light than the royal oak. seems to burn longer as well. might be hit or miss with the bags and the scrap wood, but the last couple bags ive gotten have been good. was very clean burning by the time its up to temp, almost no smell, not the greatest to light with the oil napkin trick
    fukahwee maine

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I like it too, but prefer RO if I can get it. I have got the flooring planks in it though. As someone else said, hardwood all the same. Beats the hell outta a five piece bag, that I have to set around and chip into pieces! That seems to be the trend with my Wicked Good stash in my garage. Last 5 bags have been this way. Three more bags to go, and I wont never have to worry about it again. :)
  • fishlessman
    is your supply looking like a hard lump or the traditional board scraps, ill burn either but this newer stuff burns more like the old wicked good comp blend
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    ive never had a problem with big pieces in the wg, maybe slam the whole bag on the floor a couple times :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    The last bag I burned was about 80% good size pieces and about 20% traditional tongue and groove planks. It all burned though.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

My Cowboy has been natural hardwood lump, there may be a few scraps or mill ends but not enough to concern me. I got my egg after moving down here and have never seen the Wicked Good, I would have to drive about an hour and a half north to get it.

Blair

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hard to light is a good thing!

I'll have to look into my newest bags. That certainly is not flooring/furniture scrap.

I'd guess that much of the scrap was red/black oak. It is a fairly porous wood. I once saw a woodworker blow bubbles thru a 3' long piece. With so many air holes, it would burn quicker.
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Bought a bag of Cowboy lump was week from Ace, and used it for the first time yesterday. Nice mix of size, wasn't too had to light. It did spark a little more than I'm used to. Overall I am happy with it.
  • I agree. I have always used Cowboy more than anything else mostly because its easy for me to get. But I have noticed that the last few bags I have bought have been very good quality.
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    Is there anyway to tell the stuff from the old stuff? Is there a new bag or is it the same old bag?

Saw someone here mention that Walmart is no longer carrying RO. Had to stop at my local Walmart last night and sure enough there was no RO to be found. I'm thinking Cowboy might be the next easiest thing for me to get on a regular basis.