Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the lump

Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new Egger and have been using cubes to start the lump. Well, I figured with as much lighting I've been doing the annual cost of cubes was going to be a small fortune. :) I was in Lowes this afternoon and decided to pick up a MAPP torch. Looks like this will be my preferred method! Easy, quick and painless, just have to see how long a cylinder of gas lasts, but I'm thinking that will not be an issue judging on how fast it started.

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    John, I switched to a propane weed burner a few months back......15-20 seconds and that's all it takes for a good even lite. I love the gas....I'm sure you will enjoy it as well.
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    I have been thinking about that as well. Especially since I have a couple tanks of propane from my now dormant gasser. :) Next time I'm at Harbor Freight I might pick one of those up (if the are on sale). :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never bothered to figure out how much MAPP costs me, or how long a tank lasts, but I would be amazed if it's cheaper than... most anything. Starter cubes are quite inexpensive (Rutland brand at the hardware store), paper towels and cooking oil, even less. Then there's 90% isopropyl alcohol. I've never tried a weedburner.

I would say MAPP is quite probably the most expensive of all the options. And yet, I keep using it. Very convenient and no mess. 'Bout out of MAPP gas now though. Might give paper towels and oil a shot next.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• transversal
    John, the one I bought was the $39 dollar job on sale for $29 at HF.......All you need to do hook it up and go. Just BE CAREFUL AND LIGHT IT WHEN THE GAS IS TURNED ON REALLY LOW. It throws a screamer of a flame.....I light my lump with the propane barely on.....and it's more than sufficint to get me totally lit up in about 15-20 seconds. With care, it's a great way to go.
  • transversal
    They are all fine, Q. I was buying the various starter cubes and having great success with them. They just don't get you going quite as quickly, which is a necessity for me on week nites if I plan to grill. I already had a bunch of propane tanks......in this neck of the woods, I keep a bunch of filled propane tanks as a means of cooking in the event of a hurricane. Cooked on a propane stove on the patio for nearly a year after hurricane Katrina.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I use the bye wax staters. Might not be the fastest but it is ready in about 15-20 minutes. I remember reading about the alcohol way of starting and it sounds interesting, might try that someday.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    I use the BGE starters and cut them in half. Plenty to light and goes twice as far.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    My pre-Egg grill was a Weber charcoal grill that had a small propane tank that was used just for starting the charcoal. I use it now to light a chimney filled with a full handfuls of lump. Works like a charm. The chimney is going in just a couple of minutes and the propane tank lasts forever before I have fill it again.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I don't like the smell of the wax charcoal starters.

I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center. Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match. The warmer the day, the more it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash. In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    John, I am a MAPP torch convert. I tried some other methods, and they all work but I prefer the MAPP. My first tank [a fat boy] lasted 10 months and I average cooking 4 time a week, sometimes lighting two eggs.
    MAPP tends to spark a lot, especially w/ new lump, so wear your gloves. Richard in FL came up with a neat trick. He bought a cheap metal funnel and put it over the nozzle as a spark shield. I copied his idea a while back and it works great :):)
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    I use a chimney starter and newspaper because I'm a cheapskate. If I'm feeling particularly frugal, and am not in a hurry I'll just stick some newspaper under the ceramic grate and light it.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I am a big believer in the alcohol method. I buy 91% at WM, fill up a 60cc catheter syringe (also WM), shoot in the lump in three different places and light.
    Very quick,clean, no odor.

:)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I use the cubes that came from BGE. I read where you can peel them apart and just use a little piece. That is what I do. One cube will light at least 4 fires. I can't get much cheaper than that.

I just put my pieces in the lump, light them, and add tiny pieces of apple or similar smoking chips and off it goes.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    These discussions come up often. I'm waiting for the day someone says they light with a magnifying glass facing the sun!! :laugh: :P :silly: :woohoo: :):)