Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting to temperature

Options
RCB
RCB Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had little trouble lighting my egg and getting to a high temp but I am not consistant on getting to a lower set temp efficiently.

I usually try to get the fire near a temp but I might be narrowing the bottom vent too much, too soon along with the top.

Sometimes it takes a long time to get to desired temp or if I let the egg get hot -- 300 plus then back it down (220-250)it seems to take a long time.

Any pointers on a way to get a 220-250 easy,consistantly and keeping the fire going? I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Peace

Comments

• Eggcited in Paradise
    Options
    I am relatively new to All Things Egg, but, after my lump gets going, I shut the dome, have the daisy wheel closed but the small oval holes open and have the bottom vent open about 1inch. As the temp nears 250, I narrow the bottom vent to about 1/2 inch open and close the daisy holes to about half way.

By the way, I light my lump with a small parafin cube and let it burn for about 10 minutes before closing the dome.

I try not to overshoot my temp as it takes too long to cool the egg. Try to catch your temp on the way up. Good luck!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    New to BGE but the above posts are the keys to success. I only light in one place (bottom roughly dead center) with either half a starter cube or paper towel and oil. Top open and bottom vent wide open. After good lump ignition (and ignition materials consumed) I shut top, put on DFMT and control DMFT and bottom depending on whether going hot or low and slow. Never had any problems.
    Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.