Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melt in your mouth rib-eye........

Options
transversal
transversal Posts: 719
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in the mood for a good steak and had the local butcher cut this one for me. He's a super nice guy and asked if he should "trim it up." I said "No" ..............he nodded in knowing approval.....

First, I prepped the beast...light salt and Cow Lick.
IMG-20110723-00032.jpg

IMG-20110723-00034.jpg

IMG-20110723-00035.jpg

Got the Egg going and hung the CI Grid on the CGS Spider.....

IMG-20110723-00033.jpg

About 20 minutes later.............

IMG-20110723-00037.jpg

This was good eats. The steak and salad were killer. The Egg did it again!!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That looks great. Nice Med-Rare goodness
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I need a CI grid for my spider!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jack, that looks really good! I have to get a grid that size. all i have is an 8" one that I set directly on the coals. never quite large enough! nice cook!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    That's a good looking steak!!

Funny, I got my spider/small CI grate & stoker within a few days of each other... and decided on pulled pork first. Kinda wish I had done a steak, after seeing yours ;D
  • transversal
    Options
    I got that one at my BGE dealer down the street. However, they are probably available through Tom at CGS, altho the shipping might be a few bucks because of the weight. But, without a dealer nearby, you're gonna pay shipping one way or another. The CIG is really worth it for the steaks and Tri Tips, IMHO. Not a necessity.....but nice.
  • transversal
    Options
    That's why the Lord made tomorrows, friend........
  • transversal
    Options
    Rezen, I'd give my toe nails for a stoker. :(
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Holy Cats! That's not a steak that's a 1/2 a cow!Looks like you grilled it just right. :P

I see your spider setup. Nice! B)

Keep up the grat egging. ;)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Looks good. So who is your butcher? I'm on the MS coast where we don't have one. I'd drive to NO for a good butcher.
  • transversal
    Options
    Hey, 2fat!! Miss ya, Son. Where the hell ya been?? Good to hear from you again. Not sure how much he weighed, but he was a good size. But, I did myself proud and did a Houdini deal on him......"der he was, den der he wasn't!!"
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    That looks perfect! The more I see cooks like that, the more I want a spider!!! I can almost taste that just looking at it. And to think my wife likes steaks well-done... :(
  • transversal
    Options
    Hey Bobby....this nice young guy was a Robert's on the corner of Transcontinental & West Esplanade....just moments from the house. But I got others...at Zuppardo and Langenstein's. I see you're over in Long Beach....my old stompin grounds was Waveland, Bay St. Louis & Pass Christian. Prolly know some of the same folks.
  • transversal
    Options
    John, with that set up and a thermapen, it's "can't miss".............even for someone of my limitations.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    That is a great looking ribeye. I only have two cooks complete but that Spider setup may be something I need to look into. It looks like it lowers the grid lower to the coal bed, am I correct in this my rookie thought process? Thanks
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Jack, Been my busy time.

I love your disappearing trick I turn into Houdini every time I cook on the egg as well. Everything disappears. :woohoo: Keep up the great cooks. ;)
  • transversal
    Options
    Your rookie thought process is right on, Longrifle. Check out the Ceramic Grill Store......contact Tom .....he's a super nice guy....one of us.....tell him what you wanna do.....he usually has packages of gear that save you some bucks. I use the spider /CI grill for steaks, tri-tips, tuna, salmon......great way to go. Not expensive, either.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    transversal wrote:
    Your rookie thought process is right on, Longrifle. Check out the Ceramic Grill Store......contact Tom .....he's a super nice guy....one of us.....tell him what you wanna do.....he usually has packages of gear that save you some bucks. I use the spider /CI grill for steaks, tri-tips, tuna, salmon......great way to go. Not expensive, either.

Thank you for the intell. I will give him a call in a couple weeks. Again thanks
  • transversal
    Options
    Just following in your foot steps, 2fat. Hope all is well with you. Watch that heat, podner. Sure good to hear from you again.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    A perfect steak! Nothing better - we are having steaks tomorrow for dinner. Got a whole tenderlong from The Fresh Market and am trimming it up in the morning.

PS - love the black/white table cloth! ;)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Thanks, Familiar with Langenstein's. but not the others.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    looks great....

how high do you go with the egg temp and how long...

did rib-eyes tonite for the family and they were great but am always looking to improve...

thanks for any help...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Transversal, great looking steak, and a beautiful cook!
    May I ask how thick the rib eye was?
    Thanks................

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I missed it last night but this morning that beauty would go perfect with couple eggs and a pile of hashbrowns.

You're lucky to have a butcher. All have is the grocery store meat counters. thanks for sharing

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rauchbier
    Rauchbier Posts: 24
    Options
    Wow -- that looks awesome! Just the doneness that I shoot for... I just got some beautiful 1.5" thick ribeyes from the butcher, so I'd greatly appreciate feedback on your procedure -- how long do you leave the steaks out prior to placing on BGE, what temp is the BGE when you put the steaks on, about how long are the steaks on each side, what temp is the meat when you pull it from the BGE, how long do you let the meat rest? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
    Purcellville, VA
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Options
    This looks delicious, and done to perfection. Beef, it's what's for dinner!
    Paula West Texas
  • transversal
    Options
    Usually when I grill steaks or Tri-Tips, the temp floats somewhere between 400-450* dome......however, temp at the grid I think is much, much higher...how high, I don't know. I don't have a laser therm. I'd say that steak was on a total of about 23-25 minutes, flipping to keep the cook on each side even. A 5 minute rest once plated, then the enjoyment. Prep was light salt and Cow Lick rubbed in about 30 minutes before the steak hit the grid. When the Thermopen hit about 135-136, off she came. Didn't check, but I'm sure she hit the 140* mark by the time I dove in.
  • transversal
    Options
    Elzbth, thanks for the kind words. Hope all is well over in Mobile. Hope you ace your tenderloin today....I somehow suspect that you will. Take care.
  • transversal
    Options
    Just guessin, I'd say 1 3/4 inch thick.
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Options
    one good looking steak.can almost taste the flavor fron the picture.
  • transversal
    Options
    Thanks, Lee. Appreciate the kind words. :)