Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 hot 2 Egg?

bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will first start by saying I'm an admitted hater of hot weather. When I golf I prefer jeans and a sweater type weather. That explains my preferred weather.

I have just not been egging much because it's absolutely no fun in this heat. I don't like the run in and out routine when I Egg. I like to stand out by the Egg, put on some tunes, grab an adult beverage and chill. I suppose if I had a pool I might sit in it while cooking but this last week or so has really killed the fun.

Anyone else slowing down on the Egging because of the heat?

Comments

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    If the heat bothered me, I'd never use my Egg. In wonderful central TX it has been consistently 100+ for what seems like the last 3 months.

I don't care for the heat, but have no choice but to grin and bear it...
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Not here. I figure the increased solar energy will decrease my lump consumption.. much to the delight of Algore!!~~
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Slowing down here. It is 59 deg with a projected high of 68 deg. I hate Egging in a sweatshirt.
  • Toadie
    Toadie Posts: 22
    I've just been doing more of my cooking overnight. I'm losing sleep but sweating less. Of course, this summer really isn't anything unusual here in Austin.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I am a heat hater also but the thought of heating up the house to cook... UGGGG :angry: so to me all the more reason to bear it and just plan cooks that do not need a lot of tending. last night we even did desert on the egg. a 1/2 c scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough in a oven safe pottery bowl, one bowl for each person. on to the egg indirect at 400 or so for about 10 min or till golden brown, then top with a nice big scoop of your favorite ice cream ;) hot warm doughy cookies dough and melted chocolate and ice cream :):kiss:
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    I don't let it slow me down. Forecast high here today: 102 with high humidity. Plan for later this afternoon: Put on some good music, sit on the patio, drink some ice cold beers, fire up the egg. But, I can't wait for fall.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Great point!!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Thanks.. Gonna visit FNC for some comic relief! "Guy" really lights my fire! Just gotta find some 'sun specs' that I can wear backwards!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I am not a hot weather fan either. But it's summer, so it gets hot. I use the egg because it doesn't heat up the house and because the food's better. I never sit outside and stare at the egg while it's doing it's thing anyway - regardless of the weather (unless it's pizza or a wok cook) so the temp doesn't bother me much. Whether it's 100° or 10°!

Often, I will cook more than I need and have one hot meal followed by several cold ones from leftovers. This does two things; keeps me out of the heat (or cold) and it means I have to cook less often, an even bigger plus since I would never cook at all if I didn't have to! Some leftovers are better than others, of course. Cold pork tenderloin is quite good. Cold or reheated butt is not.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I can honestly say that the heat has not slowed me down. It has taken some of the enjoyment out of the cooks ...........it just makes the trips outside really uncomfortable. But, the heat is not gonna keep me from enjoying my Egg. I would much prefer it cold and wintry. But, our winters don't compare with those up north. So, I guess I can understand those folks' point of view, too.
  • transversal
    Why is that? Why is reheated butt not appetizing?

I find if I steam it in a ricer and sauce it that it's not that bad. Nuked butt is horrible.

But, I never "pre-pull" a butt. If I have some left over, I leave it in a hunk.......steam it as a hunk and then pull it and sauce it. I notice that many pull it all, sauce it all and refrigerate the leftovers.

Not sure which is the right way to do it. I just find that leaving the unused portin unpulled makes it a lot more palatable on the reheat. FWIW.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I will admit it has reduced the number of cooks I have done. After riding my motorcycle home in the heat, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I've tried to make up for it by increasing the amount I'm cooking when I do use the egg, so I have leftovers to fall back on for the next couple of days.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, as far as I know, leaving it whole is the only reheating method I haven't tried. I've always pulled it all and refrigerated or frozen leftovers. Tried steaming, vac bag in hot water, nuking, saucepan with and without sauce - even coca-cola too (definitely THE worst!). Next time, I'll try a whole chunk.

Thanks for the tip, Jack!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• transversal
    Not the only way, Q.....but the the one that I have founds works the best for me. Make sure you store it in a zip loick bag or, better yet, a vacuum sealed one.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I love it hot! I live in Wisconsin and I hate the cold. :( You'll never find me complaining about the heat. I just hang out in the shade with my EGG, adult beverage, a nice cigar and I'm fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• We have Texas hot. Fire up that BGE. Just eat it
    Inside :laugh:
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Heat and humidity have been bad here in St Louis area. We still use the egg, but we put enough meat on for a couple days. Yes it means we use the egg less, but still eating it's products. Supposed to storm Sunday afternoon/evening and break this heat for a few days. Understand it'll be coming back next week.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    Living in Austin where it is 100 all summer long, I hate to heat my house by cooking inside. I use my egg very often as a result. It only takes a moment to do what you need to do at the egg, and then you can go back inside to enjoy the AC.
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Slowdown indeed. I have a fan trained at my back, sitting in the garage in the shade, and my clothes still stick to me absorbing. Cooking yesterdays ribs was hard, so little extra heat was needed it was hard to regulate.
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Slowdown indeed. I have a fan trained at my back, sitting in the garage in the shade, and my clothes still stick to me absorbing. Cooking yesterdays ribs was hard, so little extra heat was needed it was hard to regulate.