Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this good to use in the BGE?

Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just wondering if there is a better price then BGE lump and just as good or better lump to use?

Plus WalMart is a lot closer.

Opinions on this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-All-Natural-Charcoal-10lb/17043351
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Royal Oak bags charcoal for BGE.The BGE you buy is just plain old RO in a pretty,green,Xpensive bag. ;)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I never use BGE lump. Lowes, Minards and most big box stores carry lump. Cowboy is good as is Royal Oak.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Be glad to check out a few bags, just send 'em my way.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Royal Oak private labels for BGE and Kroger brand. There are others but Royal Oak won't share that information.

GG
  • IMO Royal Oak puts the good stuff in the bags for BGE and sells the junk themselves. But it is a lot cheaper, so I guess you get what you pay for..

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    I agree with " you get what you pay for"
    My favorite is "Wicked Good". I like their bag much better too. Nice and thick. but I picked up three bag of Royal Oak at Walmsrt
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Interesting. I had a new bag of BGE lump and a bag of Royal Oak. I opened both and spread them out on some newspaper. I saw no differences at all. Exact same lump. I heard from everyone on here it was the same so I wanted to see if Royal Oak put better lump in the BGE bag (I had both in my storage room). They didn't from my test. Same sizes. Same everything.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Thats all I use Dave

Ross
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    RO is a lot cheaper at Restaurant Depot.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Why would any company do that?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Just looked at prices yesterday at Menards and it was $6 dollars and some change for a 18# bag of Royal Oak. Girlfriend might not have been very happy if I came home with some more. Might need to use up the other 28 bags first.

Had a family friend who worked at the local potato chip factory where they would bag and seal name brand potato chips. Halfway through the shift they switched bags out for the "off brand" potato chips. The same damn chip. Like most compamies, you are paying for the name.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    That's it. The red bag of RO made in US. Same as the BGE bags of lump made by RO. :)
  • from what I have experienced, BGE lump is either the most expensive or in the top two. This premium price doesn't stop them from including bits of masonry and rocks in the bags that are sold by weight.

I don't even consider BGE lump anymore. I'd only get it if I was out and that was all I could find.

I usually get the 18# bags of RO for about $12 - $14 at a local hardware store.
  • Greenman72
    Greenman72 Posts: 20
    Sometimes I use Cowboys charcoal.

That is, Dallas Cowboys charcoal.

Because I am an American, and I like America's team. If you don't like America's team, you must not be an American.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Wicked Good.

If you can get it you won't go back to anything else.

There's a couple of people in FL somewhere that by big on WG.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I am sure RO goes through each piece and sorts it out. the crap goes in Kroger, BGE's, blue bag and puts only the beautiful pieces in the BGE bags. And all that sorting is why the BGE bags are double the price.

Loveya ya man, but that is crazy talk - IMO.

GG
  • Maybe if I was retired, I'd have the time to wait for Wicked Good to come to temp! :laugh:

I have a bag in the garage and I loved cooking on it but it took a lot longer to be ready.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Dave, Publix "Greenwise" lump is RO.
    I think the reason some bags supermarket brands contain smaller pieces is due to the handling in the store, off the pallet, jammed into a shelf, etc. Nothing to do with factory grading or handling at all. RO found at Wal-Mart is usually still on a pallet, so it has not been "manhandled" since it left the factory.
    Just my .02cts
    I buy Publix all the time, when I am close to Wal-Mart I will pick up a few bags, it is a few cents cheaper/lb and maybe less broken up.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I used to think the smaller stuff went in the RO bags, based on experience with a few bags, but the folks on here convinced me to try it again a few years ago.
    After a hundred bags or so, it's clear to me that I had previously used bags that must have been handled poorly, as there is absolutely no difference in the BGE $$$ lump and the WalMart $ lump.

I have not tried the Kroger lump, but have a bag out by the Eggs for the next cook.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Can't get Wicked Good here. A couple of years ago another Egger ordered a pallet that several of us shared - it was really good, though noticeably slower to light. I have been stingy with mine and still have some remaining. I only use it for low n slow since it burns slow and seems to last forever. It is much denser than RO, which feels like balsa wood after handling the Wicked Good ;) :ohmy:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Clark,

We will have to talk about a swap of sorts for lump. I love the Ozark Oak and can't get it, but have super secret access to some WG. ;) Time really zips by so I'll be seeing you soon. :)
  • My local walmart carries RO and Its my "go to" just cause its close and for me has been a really decent all round cook. I get BGE a few times a year from Dad as a gift or when we make our runs to Dallas. Ive had bad bags of BGE over the years mostly due to being crushed or during the dry times..98-99 was tough to get lump in Dallas, dont remember why. I can see a difference between a fresh load of RO and some thats been drug between 4 different locations inside Walmart as the seasons change. To me the stuff at lowes "Cowboy is crap" tooo much ash, fire sucks, but I have to buy it sometimes when I cant find anything else and being stuck in rural Oklahoma when you run out of a bag I just can run down to my local BGE dealer..
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Trying Cowboys tonight. $12 for a 20 lb bag at Ace Hardware. Beats the price of BGE lump.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I know the Naked Whiz rates Royal Oak higher than Cowboy (Highly Recommended), but I have use both and am still ambivalent between the two. RO does start quicker in my opinion, but Cowboy sure leaves a lot less ash. They're both good IMHO. I just wish I could buy RO in 20 lb bags instead of those cute little 10-pounders that Wally World sells.

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon