Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-where were you 42 years ago today!

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Neil Armstrong and the moon-great day to be an American!
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I was camping in Maine. Thanks for the memory! :)
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Batting practice on my cousin's birthday.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    If I think really hard, I may have been in front of our 19" console TV watching, but I was only 3 at the time.
  • glued to my TV set. ..it was around 11pm when he actually took his first steps ...i'll never forget it...

amazing what we can do when we have

a. a specific mission and date
    b. unlimited resources to get it accomplished!!

someone once said "there will never be another appollo" and they were right!!
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i was an embryo.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Up at camp in NH but took time out from swimming to watch the first steps on the moon :woohoo:
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Sitting in front of the tv with my bride, who was my fiancee at the time.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I was 10. I still have a bunch of magazines and special edition for the moon walk. I collected them and wrapped them up. I wonder if they have any value.
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    I was at Lackland air force base doing boot camp. The training instructor did let us watch it on tv. And today I'm a great uncle again.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    My wife and I were in Dallas at a "Moon Watching" Party with a load of friends. It was also our anniversary as it is today, July 20.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    at 5 i bet my memory of the moonwalk was from the next morning, bet i was sound asleep :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    not a clue. i imagine i was watching it, and listening to walter, but really can't remember. short term memory's gone, i guess. :)

i was in my high school library when i heard jack had been shot though. THAT, i remember.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    I was getting off a plane at Quonset Point NAS, RI after completing a sub patrol. Our crew left the boat in Rota, Spain. Thanks for the reminder.

Uglydog
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Dad woke me up to watch with him. I don't remember a thing, I was 2. :P
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    I was an embryo too.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Sitting in the front seat of my Dad's Falcon wagon, next to my Dad, parked in front of a grocery store at a strip center in Altus, Oklahoma listening to the radio.....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I was right here selling Toyota's.
    Damn, some things don't change much :laugh:
    Now at the steps I was home watching.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I was 15 years old and huddled up with friends in front of the tv. Don't think I'll ever experience anything like that again. -RP
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Stacey's Pool Hall, Streator, Illinois. Eating a bowl of chili, drinking a fountain cherry Coke, watching it on a 12 inch black and white TV. I was 16 and too cool to watch it with the family!
  • Wasnt even a twinkle :laugh:

Im just glad as I creep up on 40 I found out early at age 25 what good food was cooked on. Yes the big green egg.. Yes I agree for the world, getting to the moon was a memoriable moment..Some of us young ones unfortunatley missed. But it was but just one moment for many....How many memories do you, your families and friends have you on and around your egg?? And how many are more to come...Think about that for a second when placing importance, and place it close to home with family and friends...Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I was 15 and lived in Shelbyville, IL. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Just shy of 2 years old. Even though I was a wee tot, my parents made me watch (validated through B/W photos) on our old B/W TV so that I could say I witnessed the moon landing. B)

Unfortunately, the next greatest innovation (repeatable manned trips into orbit) developed by NASA is preparing to say "Mission Accomplished" just one day past this historic anniversary. Is it coincidence or just irony? :S
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    You all don't really think we landed on the moon, do you?.. J/K I was a twinkle in my parents eyes.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Given all the shuttle launch delays over the years (for good reason) I would suspect coincidence. That said, with all the technological advances we have made in the past four decades it is folly to advocate human missions back into deep space-especially Mars.
    Why risk the loss of life but from a practical side why spend the $$ to engineer the safety of humans. We have the knowledge to get the machines to do all we need done. I think the 21st century Buck Rogers needs to be back in the comic books.
    But I do think the whole package from Kennedy's challenge in 1961 until the Apollo 11 mission returned safely was one of the epic engineeering feats of history.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I was 7 living in Brunswick Maine... my mom had just gotten engaged to my 'new" dad, best dad :) it was a dang good year :)
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 28
    Just returned from Vietnam, driving on the Pa Turnpike heading home listening to the landing on the radio.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Not sure. I was only 4 months old.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Watching the moon landing at my parents house, 15 years old......
    The Naked Whiz
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Bronxville,NY
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    I was a young engineer working in the aerospace business at the time and was glued to the tv watching the big event.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO