Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump...

doubleapex
doubleapex Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It burns really hot...but when I find things like this in it, I'm inclined not to buy it again. I've switched to Weekend Warrior, as reviews have been good, and it's sold locally. So far it's done well...

lump2.jpg

Comments

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    I've seen the same in BGE charcoal. I don't worry about it.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I tried a couple of bags of cowboy at first and found several pieces of junk in it. Switched to weekend warrior and have not seen anything that doesn't belong.
  • doubleapex
    you don't mind pieces of flooring in your lump?
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    It looks like a piece of charcoal. :woohoo:
  • Andy G
    Andy G Posts: 1
    I have preferred the Cowboy lump to the BGE stuff, and I can get it at Home dopey which is walking distance away from my house. I found a a gigantic rock in my first bag of BGE lump. I haven't tried the warrior stuff, based entirely on this thread I'll give a bag a go.
  • doubleapex
    It's a piece of...flooring...charcoal :P
  • doubleapex
    it is good stuff. FYI, The full brand name is actually called "Wicked Good Charcoal" -- Weekend Warrior.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    That is what most Cowboy is made from. It's still hardwood and that's what matters. I don't use it often since I have a good supplier of Royal Oak. If you like how it burns it doesn't matter what it looks like. :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Actually it's no secret that Cowboy is all mill scraps. They are hardwood scraps, and they are not finished (varnished) or anything.

The upside is that it is available in a large market and it does light quickly. The downsides are short burn times, it makes a lot of ash and it doesn't have much smokey flavor on it's own (although you will find that WW doesn't have much flavor either). A lot of bakers will select Cowboy or WW because they are clean burning charcoal with a neutral flavor, so they work well with breads and things.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bama J
    Bama J Posts: 19
    I like it. I have grilled everything with it. Taste great
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Why should we? Cowboy uses milling scraps which is nothing more than kiln dried hardwood. It does not have finish on it. It's just hardwood. It seems to be a bit less smokey than other lumps, but it makes very little ash and burns great.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, in my testing, Cowboy produced one of the lowest amounts of ash ever. I've used a fair amount of Cowboy and not seen great volumes of ash.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    I just tried my first bag of Cowboy which I grabbed in Washington State during a run we made last month. Gotta say it's right up there as far as smokey taste and long burn goes. I'll buy it again.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hmmmm, thanks for pulling my leg! I like going to bed with a smile!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    cowboy gets knocked all the time but it really isnt all that bad. recently they started putting cowboys in the bag, must be a flooring wood shortage going on with the way the housing market is.

004-20.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Correction noted, I sure can't argue with the Master. Heheheee.

I guess like some folks I was floored (pardon the pun) when I saw so many obvious pieces of trim, and I do recall it burned faster than I'm used to... I've only burned several bags. I just read your Cowboy review and I like the comments about high heat output.... I might pick-up a bag to try in my Smokey Joe, they are kind of touchy when it comes to lump.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hemiking
    Hemiking Posts: 4
    I am a newbie egger and I have been experimenting with different brands of lump. Cowboy is one I have used and the one characteristic that stands out is the amount of sparks that it produces. My daughter calls it "sparky chancy". To date I really enjoy the smell of the royal oak as it cooks. It also burns very clean, much cleaner than the cowboy.
  • i'm new to this site and am not sure how to communicate here so i'm giving it a shot. got a bge last week and am interested in grilling a rabbit on it. got any advice for me?