Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Restaurant?

jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone heard of a BBQ Restaurant that uses strictly BGEs to smoke their meats?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Chicago has one that uses Weber grills exclusively, kinda fun, but haven't seen one with just Eggs.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• jbenny
    I'm curious how many XLs it would take to successfully run a BBQ restaurant or if it would be better to just with a standard 2 smoker system.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    One is being opened in Austin or should be opened by now. I am told this is lots of outside restaurant. Guy has several high line restaurants.
    I invited the guy to our Salado fest in March but he did not come.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Botch I went to the Weber restaurant in Chicago and thought it was real good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Mickey, do you know the name of the restaurant or the person? I Live in Austin, and I'd like to check it out.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    I saw something mentioned on the Food Network the other day. I think there is one restaurant that is using 3 or 4 EGGS. Don't know he name but you might try and search it on the Food Network.
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    There is a burrito and taco place in Austin called Cabo Bobs. It is behind the chick fil a on ben white and 35.
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    There is a burrito and taco place in Austin called Cabo Bobs. It is behind the chick fil a on ben white and 35.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    There are a few in Atlanta that use them. Kevin Rathbun Steak House and Muss and Turner's. I think there are a few more. None use them for every dish, but they do for a few.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I was working on a restaurant for BGE up until things changed. I had it at 6 Larges and 4 XLs to cook a strong assorted menu, not just BBQ.

The biggest challenge will be the fire marshal/insurance and the health department.

In Atlanta you would have to go to Gwinett County to find a Fire Marshal that would even consider looking at a plan for cooking totally indoors. The health department has issues with all of the cooking being done outdoors. Kind of a catch 22.
  • Mickey
    I just checked and the Austin restaurant did not open.
    It was in the City of Westlake and they would not allow the outdoor cooking.
    The guys name is Reed Clements and has several in town. One is The Grove Winebar & Kitchen. Just could not open the one with the eggs.

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Thanks for the update, Mickey. Yes, his name is big around the Austin restaurant scene. I'm sure it would have been good, had he been able to do it. B)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Cabo Bobs is very good. Have talk with the owners about what was required to have the eggs indoors. The owners are wonderful people and love to see egg people come in. My dream is to have an indoor egg kitchen.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jbenny
    What did they have to do?