Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker or Guru

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for a temp controller. What are everyone's thoughts regarding the stoker vs. the guru? I am currently leaning toward buying the new wi-fi enabled stoker. Does anyone have this model? What are your thoughts.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    The Naked Whiz has a review of both. Go to his website.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Here are some hands on thoughts...

Ton's of info on this can be found by doing a search.

I have and use both the Stoker and DigiQ (q2). Both are great. If you are "only" going to monitor 1 meat and the pit it really doesn't matter which unit you get.

If you take the time to read the manual on the Stoker it is as simple to use as the DigiQ (q2). If you are doing a second cook the same as the first, nothing needs to be changed on either unit. If you need a higher temperature on the pit and or a different meat temperature you need to push some buttons on either unit to get the new settings. Nothing harder than that.

Beyond that, for me, the Stoker is a better choice. I can control multiple eggs and monitor multiple foods on almost any number of eggs at the same time. I can control all those items remotely on any device that has internet connectivity. The stoker can email and tweet the information if desired.

If I have a temperature or pit probe go out for one reason or another on the Stoker I simply assign a different food probe or pit probe to control the blower. Ont he q2 you need to have a probe on hand or buy a new probe and wait for delivery.

Service is great from both companies. It seems a phone call works best with the Stoker folks.

Labor day I cooked brisket on the large egg using the Stoker and 2 Boston Butts on the medium using the q2. Obviously the q2 could only monitor 1 of the Boston butts. I then added 3 extra probes to the Stoker when went over to the medium egg and monitored the q2 cook. 1 probe for the pit and 1 probe each in the 2 Boston Butts.

I then went into the computer and pulled up the Stokler program and monitored both cooks on the same screen. I could change any control settings on the stoker (the large egg) and monitor all probes with alarms on both eggs. The Stoker could not change the settings on the q2 obviously but it could monitor. My son turned on his Iphone and was also watching and could control the settings if needed. It turned out that I needed to bump the temperature on the brisket and that was done from my sons Iphone.

If you think you will need to expand at some point in time and/or like techie stuff get the Stoker.

I bought the q2 and then decided I wanted to play around with the temperatures via computer and ended up buying the Stoker. I haven't sold either one as of yet. For my use if I got rid of one of the controllers it would be the DigiQ.

If you end up deciding you want the DigiQ then take a look at the Auberins controller. I have heard from several forum members who really like it. The overall cost was about $120. www.auberins.com
    Another Low cost controller is the iQue 110 again recommended by forum members. http://www.pitmasteriq.com/

Hope this sheds a little more light with your search.

GG
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Options
    Thank you for the information that is very helpful. I have already looked at Naked Whiz's review. I just wanted to get some opinions from people on this forum.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Here are some stoker cook pictures...

brisket on large stoker controlling
    ldbrisket1.jpg

same day cook butts on medium digiq controlling and stoker keeping an eye on things. DigiQ wires are silver braid, Stoker wires are orange
    ldbutts.jpg

summer sausage & stoker 3 stage cooking temperatures to get these done.
    sausage_summer.jpg

brisket monitoring point and the flat
    packer-5_15-hrs-into-cook.jpg

Stoker log on a brisket cook.
    brisketlog.jpg

Stoker butt cook
    butt1104.jpg

GG