Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silicone Gasket #2

Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the last gasket I used the Car Quest brand of silicone, its the copper 700 degree formula, says on the back its made by Permatex. It failed on the last pizza cook.

_DSC5568.jpg

_DSC5571.jpg

So I'm trying again using the Permatex labled stuff, (the one on the left).
This time I decided on a different approach.
I cut a groove in a piece of MDF 3/16" deep to fit the diameter of my Lg. BGE.

_DSC5565.jpg

Filled the groove with Permatex brand silicone

_DSC5552.jpg

_DSC5554.jpg

Let it dry 24hrs then pulled

_DSC5556.jpg

A little of the MDF board stuck but it will burn off the first cook, its just cardboard

_DSC5560.jpg

_DSC5569.jpg

Then just glued it on, real easy.

_DSC5576.jpg

_DSC5573.jpg

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Looks interesting!
    I'm sure you'll report on how it works.........
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Brilliant! :cheer: Hope it stays put. Nice jig. Wondering if a release agent in the mold would help, a paste wax? Paste wax soaks right into MDF.
    Keep us informed.
  • Bear 007
    I did use a silicone release agent, I really don't think you need it, the MDF is too porous for it to work.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    You should start selling them. :);) I bet some folks want a permatex gasket but do not want to go to the trouble.
  • Bear 007
    I did think bought it, but I want to see how this works first. I think I would have to make them in some kind of PVC mold, Azek or something.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    that's fantastic!...... ( coming from the originator of the rtv gasket).... rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    my original gasket has been on for at least 7 years..... just a bead of permatex... covered with some plastic wrap and some spray veg. oil..rr
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Great idea and I hope it works.Please let us know how it holds up
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I'm unclear on something. You're showing two different Permatex products in your lead photo, and I have two tubes of the left-hand version at home awaiting to be applied. Yet the right-hand stuff shows 700 F on the package, too.
    Did you use a different product on the pre-made gasket? (love the jig you made, I may do it that way).

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Bear 007
    The Car Quest stuff ( the one on the right) failed on me. It just never seemed to set right. The new ones I made out of the Permatex labeled stuff (the one on the left). It seemed to harden allot better, I did pizza tonight and it came threw with flying colors. Sorry for being unclear.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    nice but why not just install a ruthland?
  • Bear 007
    Hi mike, I just like the idea of the silicone gasket, it seems like it will stay allot cleaner. If this one doesn't work Ill give up on it and go to the Rutland. I really think I just got a bad batch of silicone.
  • Bear 007
    These are the diameters I used for the gasket, it fit perfectly on the large.

gaskets-jpeg.jpg
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Bear 007 wrote:
    The Car Quest stuff ( the one on the right) failed on me. It just never seemed to set right. The new ones I made out of the Permatex labeled stuff (the one on the left). It seemed to harden allot better, I did pizza tonight and it came threw with flying colors. Sorry for being unclear.
    Thanks, glad I got the right stuff! :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I am attempting using this technique and I am having an issue. Some of the gasket is sticking to the mdf, leaving me a less than perfect gasket. I will be able to even it out once I install and burn off the mdf by adding some more Permatex, but before continuing to remove it I want to get some advice. The product was cured 24 hours, not a minute more. I have cut a razor blade the size of the gasket width, but its not ideal. I guess I could dig in the mdf with it but that would render my mold useless for the future (could be acceptable but not ideal). Any other ideas?

imageimageimage
    Quebec - Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would coat the mold with epoxy, let it cure before using it as a mold.  Then apply some release agent in the mold - silicone oil or WD-40 (just a tiny bit).
    I wanted to limit chemicals and it seemed to work fine for bear. Maybe next time. But what now?
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Btw, I plan to burn all the mdf with a looftlighter and apply some more permatex to seal the holes. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Maybe burn it off with the looftlighter not installed, and put the ugly side under and the nice side on top?
    Quebec - Canada
  • nolaegghead
    Bjorg said:
    I wanted to limit chemicals and it seemed to work fine for bear. Maybe next time. But what now?
    You can wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol after you release from the mold.
    Bjorg said:
    Maybe burn it off with the looftlighter not installed, and put the ugly side under and the nice side on top?
    I'd try that. Hopefully the ugly side will adhere after burning off the MDF, otherwise you might be better sacrificing the pretty side for better adhesion.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• nolaegghead

What is a gasket?
    It's what blows if you were to add together all the money you've spent on your egg hobby....
    I'm sorry your having such a hard time Bjorg, after experimenting with these a few times I now leave them in the mold til they feel firm to the touch, it usually takes two or three days. I've only made them in MDF a couple of times, but I did use a release agent made for silicone, I really didn't think it did much because the MDF just sucked it in. I now do them in plastic molds , its a lot easier, but they take longer to dry.
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Bear, how have they held up for you?
  • Bjorg
    Thanks for the input Bear. I will let it cure further and will use plastic in the future. 

They sell plastic boards at hardware stores? Any link? Did you use a release agent on the plastic as well? If so, any link to  that product?

Quebec - Canada
  • Bear 007
    My large has survived about a year and a half of Friday night pizzas, my small has been on for almost a year now, no problems. I really don't do any clean burns on my large because of the pizza cooks, my small on the other hand has to have one at least once a year. I roached one a couple of cleanings ago but it did survive the last one.
  • Bjorg
    edited February 2013
    I ended up digging in the mdf to release the gasket. I have a 3mm thick layer of mdf on it. I have glued the nice surface side down on the egg with Permatex to ensure proper adhesion. 

Once it is cured, I plan on burning the layer of cardboard. Any suggestions? Looftlighter (heats at 1112 f so I would have to be careful and do it from a distance with movement) Fire up the egg at 650 f (max resist temp according to product sheet is 700 f) and let it do the job? I do not want to melt the gasket, just the cardboard stuck on it.

My guess is fire up the egg at 650. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • nolaegghead
    @Bjorg if that doesn't work, put the plate setter in legs up - that seems to deflect heat right at the gasket.  Rotate it 60 degrees half way through (legs are 120 degrees from each other).