Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Alert At Publix..

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On sale this week for $9.99/#. It's fresh, wild (not farm raised) and only offered once a year from a harvest around this time. I've got a nice fillet ready to cook and will freeze a bunch for the future. Can anyone suggest a good DP rub? TIA!!~~

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Raging River is the way to go. -RP
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Thanks, I can easily remember that.. salmon battle their way up the raging rivers to spawn!! 8 - )
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Go to the DP website and read Chris' recipe for salmon. I do it a lot but I do mine on a cedar plank :)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    You could always just look on the bottle too where it says "Maple/Herb Salmon Rub".
  • Kroger had the same deal last week around Atlanta so we snagged some to freeze as well. It was great.

Did not know about the Dizzy Pig recipe but that is a very good recipe. I know you didn't ask, but some notes on that recipe may help you or others.

Raised grate and the temps are spot on. Only differences when we cooked ours were:
    (1) I slid a sheet of aluminum foil with the ends folded up (looked like the top of a shoebox but more square) to catch some drippings
    (2) we left the skin on and never flipped

Other tips-- When I cooked at a restaurant (cook not chef!), we were using tongs. Salmon can break on you, so we always grilled skin side down until the top side firmed up, then flipped it over. While it was skin side up, we removed the skin with tongs, and rotated 90 degrees after a short time to get crossing grill marks. I would recommend that over removing the skin before grilling, especially to anyone just getting started with salmon or cooking at lower than sear temps.
  • Dizzy Pig R.R. is great and I also rotate between that and Paul Prudhommes Salmon Magic. I personally like the Salmon Magic a little better, it seems to be made specifically for salmon. It is CRAZY good cedar planked with it!

2011-07-15%202011-07-15%20001%20002.JPG?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Wild Salmon at our Costco is $7.99 this week. Kind of funny since the farm raised salmon is $8.99. We're going to smoke Sunday night. The filets were beautiful.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Just picked up a 4 pounder at Albertsons at $5.99 a lb.
    After party grub!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Same deal at our Hanifords here in Maine :) got a nice piece for dinner tonight :)