Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peameal Bacon update

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I covered the top of my cured loin with cracked peppercorns, then smoked over hickory chunks at 200-250* until 140* internal.
Here is a pic of the pepper loin bacon just off the BGE alongside the peameal from the fridge. I plan to slice them both tomorrow, then vac-seal and freeze what we don't "sample" ;)
IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

Stay tuned !!!!! :)

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Clark .. I think our Northern buddies will be proud of you! :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Oh lots of good eating there. :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    With abaited breath Clark.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    I'm going to have to try that, Clark. Can't wait to see the sliced product.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Very interesting Clark, I am enjoying your series of bacon posts. I have been eying the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure at Bass Pro Shop for a while and will be very interested to see how you like it. I also hope that you will share your tender quick experiments with us as well . . . most interesting! :)

Blair

• Misippi Egger
    Blair,

Quit 'eyeing' and buy one of the Hi Mtn BB cures. :)

BTW, our Bass Pro Shop carries all the Hi Mtn cures and jerky seasonings EXCEPT the Buckboard Bacon one! :angry:

I have used it on several buckboard bacon (deboned Boston Butt) and Loin bacon cooks in the past and it is an simple, easy way to produce great lean bacon.

This week I was attempting to produce the peameal bacon I have been hearing about from our Canuck friends, but since I had a whole loin, I used 1/3 for the peameal, 1/3 for traditional, smoked loin bacon and I sliced the center portion into 6 thick loin chops.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    so the peameal isnt smoked or cooked, just cured, sliced, fried? the pepper one looks great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    That's correct according to everything I have been able to find out. I think it is also a little sweeter than our Canadian (loin) bacon, but since I have never been able to taste any, it's hard to know.

Now that I have some TenderQuick, I am going to try a true Peameal bacon cure with TenderQuick and sugar. I will then cook some of my Hi Mtn one and the TQ one and compare the tastes. :)
  • Clark, I am very interested in how your peameal bacon turns out. Molly and I tasted it in Canada, and it was fabulous. I have tried to find out the exact way they make it, but have not found it yet. It is definitely NOT like our Canadian bacon we have here.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Faith,

I brought thirty pounds back from NH. Had a bunch to give away :blush:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    bada.. clark. i need you to teach me how to do that.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Blair, I have been doing the loin bacon/Hi-Mountain cure for a couple of years now, get some, you will like it. I follow Thirdeye's technique. :)

I am interested in this peameal thing too, I have to learn more about it.
  • Capt Frank
    Hi Clark, I just went back to your post from yesterday. Thanks very much for the update on the Peameal recipe. I don't see why the Hi-Mountain wouldnt work just as well. I will try it soon.
    Thanks again :):)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That looks amazing Clark
    I bet that is going to be much better than most of what we can buy here
    Look forward to hearing how you like it :)

Shane
  • Misippi Egger
    As I've said, Faith, I have never tasted any so I don't have a standard to compare it with, but I went ahead and used straight Hi Mtn. BB cure as a starting point. I found 2 peameal cure recipes online that use TenderQuick plus sugar, each with different ratios. My next experiment will be to make those 2 and compare to the Hi Mtn one.

I may have to freeze some slices and mail them to Little Steven as an "impartial" judge. :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Somewhere Frank I remember reading the Peameal bacon was sweeter. I'm not sure how 'sweet' the Hi Mtn cure will turn out. I called the Hi Mtn people a while back and asked around to see if anyone there knew anything about making peameal bacon, but had no luck.

The other recipes I have found have varying amounts of sugar with the TenderQuick. My next experiment will be to compare a couple of those recipes with each other and this Hi Mtn one.......
  • Capt Frank
    Since you apparently don't soak it after the cure I'm curious as how salty it will be. I try to stay away from salt as much as possible. I will certainly rinse it off before I roll it in the cornmeal :)
    Thanks for all the info.