Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sea Bass La Silla. Can you guess the recipe?

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to this Restaurant yesterday with a friend, ordered the Sea Bass La Silla ( La Silla means saddle, after the saddle mountain in Monterrey) Believe me this was the best of the best ever in a restaurant: Charcoal grilled, fresh,balanced flavours, moist & presented in the most original way, the whole fish skeleton standing with both fillet sides flat & completely deboned, one on each side but still attached to the fish:

IMG_0365.jpg

Asked the Chef about the ingredients.....He mentioned butter, chipotle, garlic, mustard & fish stock. It was FANTÁSTICO!!!

Wondering if anyone could help me write the recipe & the way to fix it standing as shown in the photo. TKS!!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Never thought of Sea Bass on the grill. We do in the oven or pan with wine.
    That looks so good...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The ingredients listed are not immediately visible in the plated picture, so I'm thinking Marinade. Looks like it was grilled skin side down, I can't imagine how you would flip it cut like that. To get that browning on the inside surface I would cook high in the dome fairly hot, 450-500.

To get the fish to stand like that I would debone from the tail of the fish from the backbone down, as you get towards the head do not go all the way through. The fillet should fall off naturaly like it is in the picture.

Hope this helps mi amigo

Doug
  • Pescado con mantequilla y ajo B)

Have had a similar dish several times in Veracruz

Not sure how the fish stock works into the cook - maybe mixing all the ingredients using them to baste the filets while grilling.

Like your choice of wine - have had it several times

Buen provecha amigo
  • That is a very cool presentation. Was the skin charred on the back of the filet?

I would be doing the same thing as you, trying to duplicate it at home. Good luck, I know you can do it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Yes it had the grid marks on the back (bottom) looking a bit charred, You'd love the taste Faith. Yes i'll give it a try soon.
  • Beli
    Very interesting observations Doug. Tks buddy
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Gee...I know who... :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Beli
    Really like sea bass and this was exceptional. Wine was the typical chilean cab, shown on the photo. Cheers Frank
  • Beli
    Grilled fish is typical of the mexican rivieras, but you don't usually get it as juicy as this one. We should try it Mickey
  • Beli
    Tim, such natural flavour, ingredients not overpowering at all. Probably Fla. Is the fest to try it ...just worried if Pat gets to it first.. :laugh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    In Tampico, I used to get robalo entero deshuesada con salsa chimichurri al carbon or whole deboned snook, cooked on charcoal with chimichurri sauce (it does not sound as good in English.

I love the presentation of the fish you got and it brings back wonderful memories of the seafood in Mexico, but I have no idea how it was cooked.
  • Beli
    Bob, it sounds delicious I'll work on it, hope I can get it right
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Good evening amego! Ye I am still alive. ;) At work but doing a sneak peak at the Forum. Wish I could help on the bass. Don't know if you have heard of a pond "turning over" but when it does the O2 gets low and fish die. Next cook will post pics but my pond turned over. Lost 150-200 Large Mouth bass 1lb to 4 lbs. :pinch: Sure could have done some expermenting for you. Huge waist. Work looks to be slowing down soon so hope to be Egging again soon!
  • Beli
    Hey Deane, so sorry to hear, sure with your stamina will get it back working with new fish in no time. How is the cattle Enduring the heath? All the best to you two
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Got a lot of Brama blood in them so heat is not much a factor however grass and hay is. We sold 7 last week because we do not have grass for them and can't make money buying hay for them threw next April. Haven't had over trace of rain at my place since May. Trees are dying. However last night and this morning we got over 3 inches!! :whistle: At least water in the pond and trees will live a while longer.
  • Beli
    Your japanese maples ok?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Man, Beli, that fish looks delicioso!! If you ever figure out the recipe, please do share it with us.

Like the wine. We get it up here as well and really enjoy it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Beli
    Jason, it's sooooo goooood, I will definitely try it & share later
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Beli
    That looks like a great meal.
    We have the same taste in wine :)

Shane