Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mist system

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had a BBQ competion at work today. Eleven teams with three people/team cooking for their individual work areas feeding approximately 500 people - so each area was cooking for +/- 50 people. Q included baby backs, fajitas, and sausage.

It is obviosuly real hot this time of year in Corpus. One team brought a mist system with them and hung it around their pit. It was real pleasant around their pit as opposed to others. Available at Sam's for $30.

Among other places, it would keep the Coop and the co-propiretors mighty cool. :)

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    You're so right, Frank. My husband put in a misting system that surrounds our patio/pergola area. It makes such a huge difference in the comfort level. Even though it's been above 100 degrees here in Austin for the past 30+ days, we can still enjoy the BGE at least 4 nights a week thanks to the misters (and a tall glass or two of ice cold "hard lemonade"!!) I highly recommend misters.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    They do work very well and as you say..can be had for pretty cheap...but they also do get everything wet unless it's dead calm out..

DSC00056.JPG
  • WessB
    Here's a view from the inside...

DSC00033.JPG
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You mean like this one around my swimming hole?

MistonSpa.jpg

Had to take it down though.

Yes, it dropped the surrounding temperature by at least 15° but the moisture really played havoc with my hair. Uhh, I mean it got the spa kinda wet. Uhh! I mean because it clouded up my vision. Uhh! Because Judy made me take it down.

Spring "Cold Steam" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ha, that's funny! Bring it to Denver and I'll use it here Leroy. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Wess,

Can you trottle it back by partially closing the valve?
  • WessB
    Honestly don't believe I have ever tried to, mine is on a ball valve...Don't see why it wouldn't reduce flow though.....the only time the mess is a problem is if we have food out on the counters....otherwise if it's hot enough to use it most people don't mind if you get a little damp...I have set my thermapen on the counter and seen a 20 degree drop, granted that took around 30 minutes, but they do what they claim.
  • Nice - may pick one up on the way home.
  • WessB
    Mine is made by "Misty Mate" got it on E bay I believe...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    and here I thought that picture was after the resident pool monkey was spittin and splashin the water out!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    I don't think you wear eye glasses, Wess, but how does the mister affect those of us 4 eyed folk?
  • Spring Chicken
    I should mention that the ones often seen in outdoor restaurants and bars are quite a bit more expensive. Probably closer to $1,500. The reason is that they break the water down to micron size instead of fog-size drops. It saves water but also cools better without the annoying puddles of water on everything.

I didn't have $1,500 so I spent $25.00.

Ended up trashing the system.

Spring "Try Anything To Cool Down" Chicken
  • WessB
    guess if you stood right under one of the nozzles it would be like being in a rain mist or drizzle...and I do wear them to read...LOL.
  • RRP
    oh - so there's just mist in the air otherwise - not really spraying on you directly. Boy I wish we would have had such a device at our eggfest in June - it got so stinkin hot!
  • Spring Chicken
    You're talking about my Spa Monkey, I suppose.

SpaMonkey-1.jpg

He liked it. Kept his flea problem under control.

Spring "It's Like A Zoo Around Here" Chicken
  • WessB
    yep..the higher the water pressure the finer the mist...
  • WessB
    Leroy..you got that right, and many of those commercial systems are pushing 1000 PSI with booster pumps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

We used those when were selling in summer art shows, festivals and fairs. Temperatures on hard top would at times get to 110°.

Helped us keep cool and increase sales as people would hang around our booth a bit longer.

GG
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Leroy spraying rum & coke in big drops would work wonders :laugh: and avoids the hard task of keeping your glass in your hand, imagine both hands free to cook and getting properly hydrated all the time :woohoo:
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    I thought you meant mist system for inside the egg... Still, looks pretty cool!!

Cheers!
  • Spring Chicken
    That's the kind of thinking I like.

Cheeto Pizza one day and Rum Rain the next.

I'm already working on it.

Spring "What's This Wonderful Flavored Rain" Chicken
  • I may have to come by and give the misting system a taste, errr I mean teat. :woohoo:
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Spring Chicken
    If it keeps getting hotter and hotter there may be one in the future for the Chicken Ranch.

I can install it myself.

When we lived in Florida a number of people were installing a roof cooling system that ran along the ridge line and sprayed water on the roof. Most of water evaporated before it ran off but it supposedly cooled the roof, thereby cooling the attic, thereby cooling the ceiling, thereby making the A/C unit work less and saving money.

We had a water to air heat pump in our house and it cut our electric bill by about half.

I think there are lots of ways out there to cool, warm and ventilate homes that people are not aware of.

Spring "If We Lived Underground We Wouldn't Need To Heat Or Cool Our Home" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Bring yourself on. You can help me design it.

Spring "Two Brains On Rum Work Better Than Rum On One Brain" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Sorry, it's already 75' in a landfill somewhere. But I can get another one as soon as Frank wears his out.

Spring "Patience Works Grasshopper" Chicken
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Does it work even in high humidity?
    The Naked Whiz
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Yes, but not nearly as well.

BOB
  • Spring Chicken
    Yes, but it creates a lot of puddles.

Even the high-dollar ones will create some water in the kind of humidity we have in Houston.

While we're on the subject, it's really not so much about the humidity as it is the dew point. A dew point over 60° starts to get a little uncomfortable. By 65° it is really noticable, and anything over that is totally uncomfortable, in fact, miserable. We had 80° dew points a few times last year and I felt like I was in a heavy fog, but the humidity was under 70%.

There are probably places near you that have misters for their outside customers. You may want to have lunch there one day and see how it works. The $30 ones really don't work well at all here but in Phoenix they would work fine.

Spring "Mister Tryer" Chicken
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    My parents have a misting system on their back porch and it works great. I'd look into getting one, if we weren't in a rent house and hopefully moving soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings