Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My local WalMart is no longer going

OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local Wal Mart is no longer going to sell Royal Lump. I asked and they said it just doesn't sell well enough. That sucks for me. Is this a trend with Wal Mart or it just the crazy people here?

Comments

• Find your nearest locally owned hardware store and ask them to stock it, and tell them that W-M won't carry it. Sounds like something they could advertise...."hey, get your RO Lump here"
  • LPcreation
    LPcreation Posts: 13
    Same here in State College PA.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    That has been reported here by others across the country - it has to be a store by store decision. For instance we have 3 WM in our community. One never carries it, one carries it as a seasonal item and the third carries it year around! You might ask someone in the know at your store to check where it is in inventory at nearby WM stores.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DrDaveMack
    DrDaveMack Posts: 10
    Found a pallet at one WM in the area but no longer stocking it at two others. Bought 4 bags and will probably go back for more.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

This same thing went around the forum a couple of years ago. I ended up talking with RO directly and they got in touch with the Walmart buyer. At that time the decision to purchase RO was the store manager's call. I then asked the RO sales rep. where I could get RO. He said he could not give me a list of private label customers but in my area the local chain owned by Krogers carried RO under the label Kroger.

Kroger has quite a few stores they own but let run under their local name. In our area it is Smiths Food King. I called Smiths and talked with a manager. They didn't carry the lump but said they would order it for me. It took 4 days and was the same price as WM was selling it for.

Look up Kroger and see if there are any stores in your area.

BTW WM brought in new stock levels the next BBQ season. We have a hard winter and BBQ items are cleared out of all stores late summer or early fall.

GG
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Try Restaurant Depot if there is one near you. Theirs is cheaper than Wmart and available year round.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Is the Kroeger stuff in 8lb or 10lb bags? -RP
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just order Ozark Oak from grillstuff.com for like $1.50 more a bag and have it delivered to your door for free if you spend $99. You get better lump and don't even have to leave your house. I ordered 12 bags like 2 months ago and opened my 8th bag last night. I never realized how much lump I go through when I would just go get 3-4 bags at a time from Walmart.
  • Grandpas Grub

The bags I got were 10#'s.

GG
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I just got some the other day in the Cary, NC Walmart. My go-to one is in Holly Springs. Haven't heard that yet, but the Cary location only had 5 bags. I snagged them all. I'll have to check the other store. This has me concerned. We do have hardware stores and Lowes/home depot so I'm sure I'll be able to get something to burn.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    The past few bags of Royal Oak (from Walmart) seemed to burn awful fast. Not good on a low & slow cook.

Meanwhile, my local Walmart Super Store apparently no longer carries Royal Oak, so I bought a couple of bags of B&B. It sparks like crazy when lighting with a MAPP torch but doesn't explode pieces all over the food during the cook like some lump does. It also lasts a lot longer than the Royal Oak I had been getting.

Then I decided to use some of my last stash of Ozark Oak on a brisket cook. Although I had some issues with my thermometers all saying different temperatures, the Ozark Oak just purred along and really did a great job.

I will probably switch to Ozark Oak or B&B rather than travel all over town looking for Royal Oak.

I've used Kroger brand before and it looked and burned just like Royal Oak.

Ordering a pallet load might be an option.

Spring "Taking My Lumps As I Get 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    well then there is no reason to go to walmart, dont go to walmart :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    My closest WM has quit carrying RO, but I found it a another one (about 15 min. away). Bought 12 bags a couple of months ago - boy did I attract attention from clerks as well as customers - "where is the party", "how long will THAT last you", "P A R T Y !!!". :laugh:
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I totally agree with you on that one.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    As a new egger, my "Grill outlet" store carries the BGE brand lump. My wife bought the first set along with the egg, but for future reference, how does it compare to some of these other brands that all of you are mentioning. It would be nice to get the cheapest available as long as quality doesn't suffer. Thanks
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    We have 2 stores in town. The new one doesn't have RO but the older one has it seasonally. I hope they continue to carry it. I bought 5 bags last week, I'll probably go back and get 5 more.

My backup is Lowes since they have Stubb's lump.
  • rmr62 - people have said that Royal Oak is the company which makes BGE lump, it's just that BGE puts their "brand" on it.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Depends on where you live but I am getting a very good lump at my local grocery store and it is cheaper than wal mart. Also the restaurant depot is great if o e is close to you. Just say you want to check the sore out and they will give you a day pass.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    I just picked up a 20lb bag of lump from Gordon Food Service (GFS) for $12.99. It's made by Royal Oak as well.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Only 4 bags? I typically have 6-10 in stock at home :)

Ace's brand "Grill Mark"?? is supposedly rebranded RO. 9.99 for a 17lb bag - I currently have 5 of these in my stockpile.

--
    grillin is a year-round necessity.

(I had a pic of me grillin on my BGE with snow 3.5-4ft deep. had to shovel a path for the dog, so with a little more digging, got to the egg - man those steaks were good!!!)
  • onedbguru
    Lowes typically carries Cowboy Lump.
  • RRP
    It's all relative...I freak out when my inventory of lump gets down to 350 pounds! 600 pounds is my comfort level! Most has been 770 pounds and wifey says "WHOA boy" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub

Out here Lowes is migrating to Stubbs Lump.

• onedbguru
    I don't go to WallyWorld very often, but do on occasion to support my brother who drives a truck for them down in TX.
  • RRP
    See? That's a lot cheaper than what you pay for BGE lump isn't it? That's ALL we were trying to tell you this afternoon!
  • Grandpas Grub

Royal Oak says they private label for BGE, Kroger and several other 'private sources'.

• Grandpas Grub

BGE here is $26 /20#. Walmart $6.35 /10#. Less than 1/2 the price.

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Hey, guys, thanks for the info. I've been loving my egg, but that is a large difference in price, so it's good to know. Thanks again :)
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    Checked the walmart here in Southwest Austin, TX and there was none to be found. Didnot speak to anyone about it. Now I need a new source. RO was my only reason to shop at walmart. I wont miss the place.