Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An amazing lump picture

tbk420
tbk420 Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this in my other thread, but it is just stunning to me.

Here is a picture of my lump, following a 29 hour smoke:

imag0285t.jpg

That's what I call efficient! :woohoo:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

That is amazing for 29 hours and I doubt very typical.

Have you knocked the lump down to see how it burned under the surface?

GG
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Wow. do you light from the bottom? I always light at the top and let it burn down.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is great, tbk. How is it that that woood didn't burn? Did you add it later on during the cook?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Your cheating c!! You changed your gasket ! ;)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'm no expert, but I would think for a cook that long, it used whay to much lump. I'm guessing that's a medium or small.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    There's no way a small could run 29 hours period and I doubt a medium could either, but that I don't know.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    what in the world are you cooking that takes 29 hours?! and at what temp?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I don't believe a XL can go that long and hardly have any burned lump.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I had a somewhat similar experience...mine was only a 14 hour cook but even after I stirred the lump to let the ash fall through, there was still darn near a full firebox of lump. During that cook I was using a controller and it seemed the egg wanted to hover just above the setpoint and the fan hardly ever came on. I think the egg was just showing off.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have had some long cooks, "low and slow" butts, go 24 hours and have plenty of lump left in the fire box, and i have loaded the same basic amount of lump and have it run out of fuel around 12 to 14 hours??? I really think it's due to the lump and not necessarily the brand. One bag can burn much faster than first??? :(
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    With the heat we are having in Texas one could probably do a low and slow without any lump!
    __________ Chris
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'm not sure what size egg you have, but my longest cook on my large was 23 hours. There was way less lump than what you are showing. I used Cowboy. I loaded that large up touching the plate setter.
    Can you share with us what size egg and the charcol brand?
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    crmilt wrote:
    With the heat we are having in Texas one could probably do a low and slow without any lump!

Yeah I hear ya. Not sure what it was there, but today we hit 100 and yesterday too. I know yesterday with the heat index it felt about 115F.

That seems like alot of lump to be left over after that much time. My large can't even come close to that. Then again it has many leaks and no gasket to speak of. Still, it is funny how it burned on the bottom and not the top. I guess it's how you light it.
  • cookn biker
    Your original post said 12.5 pounds of beef roast. My cook had 68 pounds of pork butt.
    You also said over 30 hours.
    Something is not adding up....just saying
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • tbk420
    LOL - yes, I get my kicks out of making up fake Egg stories and posting them on this forum. :huh:

To answer some earlier questions:

I did a 12.5 pound chuck roast, which was pulled after 27 hours. I smoked at 240 dome. Then, while the Egg was still burning, I took a page out of Clay's BBQ beef. I shredded, and put back on for another 1.75 hours.

I added those partially burned chunks for the second round of smoking when the shredded beef went back on.

It was burned a bit more underneath, but I've used the same load for two subsequent cooks - the last was a high heat sear tonight on steaks for dinner. I fully expect to be able to get more out of it, but who knows!

Glad I could start such controversy over some charcoal. :P
  • tbk420
    Oh, and it is a L, and I filled the fire ring completely.
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Is there a way to block posts from a particular member?
    I enjoy a good joke and I am told I have a good sense of humor, but I fail to understand the joy of posting something just to stir up a controversy. Kinda weird to sit back and watch members post how they are baffled by what one shows as truth. What kind of reaction do you get from the people you interact with when you pull similar monkey business?
    I'll be filtering your posts in the future, either by sight or automatically, if available.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    See this dudes post of 19:24:08
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    I did and have to agree with Larry. :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Grandpas Grub
    dubah wrote:

No.
  • Grandpas Grub

29 hr smoke, no reload, smoke wood not charred and the cook only used about 2.5" of lump in that 29 hours.

Sorry you took offense, if you will re-read my original post I simply asked you about the lump bed. Sometimes the structure stays high when a lot of lump is used below the surface, I was wondering if it looked like that after being stirred down.

I also mentioned that that little of lump usage probably wasn't very typical.

Yup, I agree, just amazing. I don't egg much and have never done a 29 hour smoke so I surly wouldn't know.

GG
  • tbk420
    dubah wrote:
    I enjoy a good joke and I am told I have a good sense of humor, but I fail to understand the joy of posting something just to stir up a controversy. Kinda weird to sit back and watch members post how they are baffled by what one shows as truth. What kind of reaction do you get from the people you interact with when you pull similar monkey business?
    I'll be filtering your posts in the future, either by sight or automatically, if available.

Are you serious?!

In case you you don't understand "sarcasm", my prior post is a perfect example. Since you seem to be a bit confused - NO, this is not made up. Why in the world would I make up a charcoal story? What could I possibly gain by doing so? Some odd sort of credibility on an EGG FORUM?

I'm relatively new here, and I realize that people take their Egging seriously. I do as well - it is an amazing rig, and I've been BBQ'ing for years.

You people are simply disappointing. The negativity, and basically calling me a liar, are completely uncalled-for.

Thanks to this thread, I likely won't be posting here much anymore. Likewise, I am reconsidering attending the Pittsburgh Egg Fest. If this is the type of weird, clique-ish behavior I can expect, from nothing more than a random message board post, my guess is that this community isn't very welcoming of newcomers.

Congratulations on being antagonistic for no reason at all. Feel free to ban me - I won't be around much anymore.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow! Not cool at all. I have known tbk 420 for awhile on another board and he really is a stand up guy and he knows his way around bbq. I know that he would not make up a story about charcoal. What could he possible gain from it? I remember him asking questions on the other board about the egg before getting it and how excited he was about it. I really hope the responses to his excitement over how much charcoal he had left over do not drive him away. I think a few people have been driven away lately by certain people and its a shame. Most here are very nice and very helpful and that's how it should be.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    come on guys. lets be a bit more friendly. he posted a picture of a lot of unused lump, praising the effecience of his effecient grill/smoker. he didn't sell everyone a bunch of stuff and then not follow through on his end of the deal......

to the OP.... this is a great forum, really it is, but if you feel inclined, you may want to check out the bbq-brethren forum, if you already aren't over there.

cheers.
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Speaking of amazing lump...In an XL.
    Lump.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wicked Good Weekend Worrier ? :lol:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    might want to put the therm in some boiling water and check the calibration, i get burns similar with a lower temp cooking without a platesetter, dont know if you had any thermal mass under the roast but platesetters and pizza stones cause more lump to get burned, a simple pan as an indirect setup is better for saving lump. heres a low and slow direct for showing lump consumption, i only filled up to the holes in the firebox
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=507801&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tbk420
    I wanted to stop back in and apologize for losing my temper earlier. It was just so unexpected to get the negative responses, but I also appreciate the supportive messages I received and comments above.

And thanks for the compliments, Griffin - coming from an accomplished BBQ'er such as yourself, nice words indeed.

Hey - the lump burn surprised me too, so I know it is hard to believe. That's why I started a thread on it.

In case it makes any difference, I was using an oval platesetter in the AR, and my new micro adjuster from ThirdEye was set on two holes. Top vent closed, with fully open daisy wheel.

I was using Humphrey lump, which I really like. Lots of big pieces - manufactured semi-locally in Pa.

I also will not let the actions of a few ruin my posting here or any Eggfests. I've learned that these posters do not represent the community as a whole, so it's forgotten.

Except for remembering the handles that did it. :evil: