Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini 650 + Degree Temps.....

Options
2»

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You disagree, and thats fine. I dont think newbies are taking too much stock in this post, just people picking it apart to beat their own chest. Just the way I see it. No disrespect to other opinions, but it really is just too much thinking that all the newbs are gonna have their day ruined from seeing this cook. They are actually going to feel they will be ripped apart if they post about their cook.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    No chest poundin by me..and my comments had nothing at all to do with the cook. I even said that the steak looked great...my comments are based on offering bad or wrong advice...you missed everybodies point and are merely trying to stir the pot...do me a favor..cook your next steak on the mini or even the small and cook a 1" steak at 650 for 5 minutes per side then post some pics of it...since that's what the cook was said to be....
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    not stirring the pot, just giving my observation about the feedback, just as you are offering feedback. we see it differently, thats all.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Maybe all posts here should be peer reviewed before they're made available to the public.

BTW, if anyone ruins a steak because they were trying to follow directions that someone posted here, then they've got bigger problems. At some point, folks need to apply a little critical thinking of their own. We're cooking meat over fire here people... not curing cancer or building a rocketship.

__Jason
  • WessB
    Options
    That has to be hands down one of the most rediculous posts I have ever seen.....

"BTW, if anyone ruins a steak because they were trying to follow directions that someone posted here, then they've got bigger problems"

What in the world do you think this forum is here for....it's to share recipes, ideas, and techniques..and to state that every newbie should understand cooking over fire just shows you haven't been here very long...some people want to know how to stack lump...they come here to learn the things they do not already know...
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    That has to be hands down one of the most rediculous posts I have ever seen.....

"BTW, if anyone ruins a steak because they were trying to follow directions that someone posted here, then they've got bigger problems"

What in the world do you think this forum is here for....it's to share recipes, ideas, and techniques..and to state that every newbie should understand cooking over fire just shows you haven't been here very long...some people want to know how to stack lump...they come here to learn the things they do not already know...

I've been here over 3 years. And wasn't trying to be funny... just trying to point out that this is a serious case of making a mountain out of a mole hill. Happens a lot here, actually.

So this person posts how they made a steak. Heat Egg to X degrees. Put on steak and grill for Y minutes. Flip. Grill for another Y minutes. Put on plate. Eat.

Now, you may disagree with some of the details. Great. Post your own method and let people make up their own mind. Flaming the O.P. or proclaiming that his method is just going to ruin meat is pointless. Unless you honestly believe that his goal was to mislead newbies who have never cooked a steak in their lives. I seriously doubt that was the intent.

I'm not trying to discount the good info that can be found on the forum. There's a ton of it. I'm just saying that once in a while, people need to be able to think independently. A newbie is going to make mistakes early on, and it doesn't matter how perfect or precise the instructions are. They will scew up, and (hopefully) they will learn something in the process. I've been applying heat to meat all of my life, and I still screw up now and again... but I'm not going to come on here and start shaking my fist at someone because they misled me. I'm going to note what I did wrong, and not do it again. People learn more from mistakes than they do if they do everything right the first time. Believe it.

I didn't even know this forum existed when I first got my Egg. Somehow, I survived.

__Jason
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Look like the lump bed is at the top of the fire box, minus what has burned down under. I very seldom ever use the DFMT on my mini but I am guessing I could get to 650° and hold with the DFMT on. {edit} with slider wide open. Petals only open, no way.

Doesn't sound right for that temperature and the sear time, from my experience, but I got to take it for what it is. If that's how he cooked it then so-be-it.

Sure is a nice looking steak though, just the way I like it.

Nice cook.

GG
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    It is evening now and hopefully WessB has gone home and unsnapped his bra and is relaxing with a cold libation. Jason the way you simply see things is the way I cook.

When I cook a steak
    I clean out Mini and fire it up.
    Mini gets to around 650 and I go out with a plate with the steak on it, tongs and my camera.
    I take a pic of the temp, the wife opens the Mini and I put the steak on.
    The temp does drop like any cook where you open the dome and the heat escapes and also because the steak is covering about 2/3 the grill.
    We go inside, start the timer set at 5 minutes, sometimes I go 7 if the steak is thicker.
    When timer goes off we head out to flip the steak and snap a pic. Come back inside and restart the timer for 5 minutes more.
    When the timer goes off I bring in the steak and take a shot of the dinner plated.
    I think my original post shows this and speaks for itself.

There are posts here every once in a while that people do like to "make a mountain out of a mole hill" as you say.

It is entertaining to me and hopefully for others as well as long as everyone just keeps on
    Grillin & Chillin!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

LOL - G&C could you put a little more detail in the post. :laugh: :laugh:

Nice looking cook though. That had to be a great eat.

GG
  • WessB
    Options
    Life's to short to continue this any further...don't tell someone to cook a steak at 650 if that's not what you did...and if you're really interested I do sell my dirty bras...but they aint cheap..LOL...libations to ya..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

As long as you autograph them... :laugh:

Kent
  • WessB
    Options
    Well of course..and I even take Paypal..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is the wrong mental picture for tonight...

Kent
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    I've seen pictures of you W.B. , with that beautiful mane of hair! That has to be a triple EEE you are wearing!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • WessB
    Options
    Well..I kinda lucked into some funds since then..had a little plastique done....some botox to the lips...I'm just not the same ass you all came to know and love...it's the new and improved me now....triple E no more...LMAO..oh and I even increased the waist size as well..