Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili: Beans or No Beans

2»

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    WITH beans unless I'm making it for a hot dog topping,then I still use BEANS! :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beans.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    FINALLY!! We agree on something!! :laugh: Do you CHOP them beans? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    :woohoo: No,but I will try chopped beans if you recommend it. :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    nah, just pork. B)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I cook mine with beans..but will eat either
  • carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    No beans. From SE Pennsylvania, but married to a Texan.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I saw them in the 80's Frank. :laugh: :laugh: , great show!!! :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Definitely 100% sure no mistake about it. NO BEANS!!!!!!!!!!
  • Depends on "why" I'm eatin the chili ;)

I mean, if it's on a hotdog, then no beans.

But if it's a "meal-unto-itself" - then of course - BEANS (and meat, and "un-yuns" - and either bread & butter, orrrrrrr - cornbread). :ohmy:

Oh, and I'm in The People's Republik of Kalifornia now :pinch: - but I grew up in Wild Wonderful West "By God" Virginia!!! :woohoo:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Spoken like a true Texan ! :cheer:
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Most chili competitions forbid beans, which is why I don't enter most chili competitions.
    Agreed, without beans is either a condiment, or needs to be spooned into a bowl of Fritos.
    Dammit, I'm hungry again! :angry:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Pepe Le Pew you smell nice :laugh: All the best buddy
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    Pinto for you and I'll take care of the canned red kidney beans. I eat those with shredded extra sharp cheese, tabasco sauce and saltine crackers for dinner often, nothing else. Yum,Yum. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    No Beans!. If it has beans it is not chili, it's a type of stew.
  • BBQ Hippie
    BBQ Hippie Posts: 49
    If it has beans it ain't chili
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    My Texas award-winning chili team says "NO BEANS"!

100_0431-1.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Being that Egrets Cowlick chili is the finest in the land and it calls for beans, then beans must be in chili. ;)

If the Texans had it all figured, we would only bbq beef :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I guess because I have lived here and there I like it either way. As long as it's good I'll like it. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Hell's Bells,We're Back in Black! :laugh: B)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    :laugh: :silly: :laugh: B) Perfect!!! :laugh: :whistle:
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Pepe Le Pew wrote:
    No beans.

I usually will put a cup of pinto beans on the side in case one of the "great unwashed" want to include it. In that case, it's called "chili with beans", not chili.

I haven't read all of the posts, but if it hasn't been said, an old Texas mantra is: "Anybody that puts beans in chili, don't know beans about chili"

HILARIOUS my fellow skunk!

As a Texas I am firmly in the no bean camp, but that's not to say I haven't had tasty chili with. One memorable one had a small quantity of black beans...it worked, but I still prefer it without.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Ripnem wrote:

If the Texans had it all figured, we would only bbq beef :laugh:

SOOO not the case. This is a common error in thought from the KC, Memphis, Carolina cults. While brisket is indeed a primary player in Texas BBQ, sausage (many with pork) and pork loin/chops are well established in the history of Central Texas Cue. East Texans have been cooking pork ribs for centuries, and then of course the Mexican influenced areas of the state have all kinds of critter that have been part of their menus from the beginning.

You have to remember, Texas, "it's a whole other country"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    chili pie wouldnt be right without beans :)

100_1287.jpg

chili is good with CANNED brown bread :laugh:

052.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    depends

on hot dogs no beans

everything else beans

best of all chili and corn bread

location in my sig
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • A good friend once told me: "Beans are for poor people!" Our chili that year had none.

Nowadays, there are often beans in the chili.....
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    The Cow Lickin Recipe calls for 2 cans of beans.

Living in Texas, home of the no bean chili, I compromised and only used one can and added some leftover brisket.

It came out all kinds of awesome.

So I am in the "some, but not a lot of beans" catagory.