Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the feet in a table voids warranty...

jostheim
jostheim Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I went to my local BGE dealer (Settergrens hardware), to look for a self-clinching stud for my spring-assisted band (see my previous post from yesterday). While there I spotted some loose BGE feet. I bought my egg used and didn't get any feet when I bought it so I jumped on them especially since I am building a table and all the posts I see say to use the feet under the BGE when setting it on a tile in the table.

Well in the process of paying for the feet, the BGE expert at Settergrens came up with the price list (no one knew the price of the feet), and showed me a spot on the price list where it clearly said if you use the feet with a table you void your warranty.

I bought used so I have no warranty anyway, but I thought I'd pass on this bit of information... can anyone confirm?

To me this sounds ridiculous, but I saw and read the price list and the note on it myself. Does BGE corporate monitor these forums? If so I'd love to get a comment from them since this sounds pretty crazy.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I have heard before to not use the feet under an XL but never heard they would " in general " void the warranty...
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    The feet don't work well on the XL because of the size. They are also not suggested on the others because the heat isn't buffered as well on a table than a brick paver. However, I have not heard of them voiding a warrenty, especially when they are provided by BGE for just the purpose of raising the egg off a surface.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I have never heard of a dealer who charged for the feet.
    Most I have seen have a box in the back full of them.....They forgot to give to customers anyway....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jostheim
    I actually have an XL, so I may the proud owner of 3 feet I can't use. I am using a piece of slate under my egg instead of ceramic tile, perhaps that will hold up better...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    It might be interesting to see if there is a date on that price list. Could this be yet another change being quietly slipped to us by the new regime?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    no feet with an xl, have heard they may be dropping the feet all together. just using the feet on wood without a buffer like a paver will eventually catch the wood on fire which may crack the base
    see the three foot prints ;)

2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    3 points of contact on the XL just aren't enough because of the diameter. I need to check with Heath (Rolling Egg), he just got a new XL and wonder if it has the feet or a warning about not using them.
  • fishlessman
    i think bobbyq mentioned that they were going to a thing of the past
    fukahwee maine

• jostheim
    I've read that even using a tile of some sort is not quite good enough because the tiles get hot and can crack as well. That being said that may apply to ceramic tiles more than actual stone (like I said I am using a slate tile).
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    mine is sitting quietly in it's box in a hidden location or I would go check....
  • Crimsongator
    Hidden, as in hidden from Aaron? Is it also under lock and key and constant video surveillance!
  • Crimsongator
    The "glass half full" side of me thinks not!
  • fishlessman
    the pavers work well, ive had bluestone explode. dont know how the slate holds up. dont use the feet with the xl, bge has posted here a few times that no feet are to be used with an xl
    fukahwee maine

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I have dixie guarding it :evil: and she is good! she chased him sideways down the whole length of our couch one time! he about wet himself!! also I will not tell you, you would find his number and tell him just the upset me! :S
  • Crimsongator
    So the toothless, half blind and grumpy female dog is the guard?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    jostheim wrote:
    I actually have an XL, so I may the proud owner of 3 feet I can't use.

I have an XL and have the feet - I use them as a buffer between the pizza stone and the plate setter when making pizzas. It was the only use I could think of for them.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I doubt BGE would ever know you used your feet on a table. I wouldn't worry about it. I have mine on a $3.00 16" paver from the Depot. Works great. Prior to that it was happily held up by 3 pieces (times 3) of plywood. Yes. I'm serious. Just little squares. I had the feet, but they didn't hold the EGG high enough and were therefore too close to my table and I didn't like it. Never had a problem with the food feet, but finally remembered to get a paver while at the store. No worries at all now.
  • jostheim
    Looks like I'll go no feet and try my luck with my slate tile... I have some ceramic insulation (good to temps way higher than the BGE can get to) I might try to use to raise it up a bit for airflow, I'll just have to see.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    jostheim,

The Settergrens at Diamond Lake? or I think they have one on Penn too. Mike is somewhat an egghead. You can use those feet for lots of stuff, like spacers between the platesetter and pizza stone or under a baking dish or stonewear you don't want all dirty from the grate.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    OK you have an XL and if you use the feet it voids the warranty. I can believe that as BGE does not ship the three feet with and XL and says to never use them period with an XL. Sounds like a XL warranty issue only.
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    I've already had a ceramic tile under a large BGE (with feet) crack sometime during the night after a cook. It was interesting, because the tile split into 4 or 5 pieces, and they were about 1/2" apart when I found them, still under the egg. Must have been a bit of force behind it when it blew apart.

- dan
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I think I learned this in the 2nd grade or maybe later in life when someone explained to me why I, as a human, shouldn't touch something that is very hot.

Heat transfer, also known as heat flow, heat exchange, or transfer of thermal energy, is the movement of heat from one place to another. When an object is at a different temperature from its surroundings, heat transfer occurs so that the body and the surroundings reach the same temperature(thermal equilibrium). Heat transfer always occurs from a higher-temperature region to a cooler-temperature one as described by the second law of thermodynamics or the Clausius statement.

Where there is a temperature difference between objects in proximity, heat transfer between them cannot be stopped although its rate can be controlled.

Therefore, it would seem to me then that by providing a measured void between hot-item "E" (Egg) and cold-item "S" (Stone) one could be closer to 'controlling' the heat transfer rather than transferring it to yet another layer "T" (Table).

Thus, if direct contact is suggested (mandated) between XL "E" and Stone "S" then one would have to assume that the contact is directed more at 'Support' than 'Heat Divergence.'

Just my 2¢.

Spring "Now I have A Headache" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I asked bge once when I called to order something, and he (store representative) told me not to use the feet on any egg in a table. The feet were for when you put it on concrete with nothing else under it. He told me to put two pavers under it if I was using a table. Who knows though, he was someone in the store, and it was far from an official statement I would assume.
  • jostheim
    Penn Ave, less than 5 minutes (walk) form my house. Mike was great, he gave me the heads up about the warranty situation and told me he runs his with a paver under it without a problem. I already have this 24 in slate tile so I may as well use it...

We'll have to meet up in Minny sometime!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    We are about 60 or so blocks apart. ;)
  • jostheim
    When he showed me the item in the price list he didn't know I had an XL, in fact he never new. So I am not sure it is a XL only issue or not.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Well, I'm pretty sure that anyone's warranty is what was stated when they bought the Egg. The warranty on the website makes no mention. You can't have secret clauses that you spring on customers. Also, if you have your Egg on the feet on concrete, how is that different from your Egg on feet on a paver? None of it sounds likely. Did that price sheet come from BGE or from the distributor? Some distributors have made warranty claims more difficult than others.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jostheim,

You have seen Fishlessman's pic and pretty sure Flapoolman's pic would tell you to put more than a piece of slate (I'm presuming it is fairly thin) under the XL. I would get a paver or two under the XL so the table doesn't see as much heat - JMHO.

I went a little further and used some thick bricks
    IMG_1891800x600.jpg

Good luck with it
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    I set my table on fire when I used my egg without feet. Ceramic tile will transfer heat very well and will not prevent heat transfer problems.

I can't speak to XL's, but with a Large, you've got to use the feet.