Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini 650 + Degree Temps.....

Grillin & Chillin
Grillin & Chillin Posts: 733
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All
Had the desire for another Ribeye, with D.P. Raising The Steaks. Not huge but a nice 1.04LB'er. Got the Mini to about 665 Degree's and dropped it on for 5 minutes a side. Add some hybrid corn with Cheddar Broccoli and Cauliflower and what a great dinner! Good start to the week.

2011-07-10%202011-07-10%20003%20002.JPG?psid=1

2011-07-10%202011-07-10%20003%20004.JPG?psid=1

2011-07-10%202011-07-10%20003%20005.JPG?psid=1

2011-07-10%202011-07-10%20003%20009.JPG?psid=1
BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I could sink my teeth into that. :P
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks fantastic, wish I would have had steak tonight. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    There is no way in this world that the steak you are sharing was cooked at 665 for 5 minutes per side...."maybe" if you took it right out of the freezer and put it on the egg...I can get a steak, using the same rub, black on the outside in 3 minutes per side at 525-550...come clean..or maybe you need to calibrate your thermo..
  • WessB
    550° for a total cooking time of 6 minutes..3 minutes per side...and on the small not the mini...
    flipcr.jpg
  • No lie W.B. Have had this discussion before with others. Actually if you notice past pic's of mine on the Mini you will notice a different thermo. The Tel-Tru I used is brand New and freshly calibrated. The thermo showed 665* when I dropped the Ribeye on and just like other cooks the temp drops about 200*. So you can believe it or not, that is how I cooked it. No reason for me to not give the straight facts.
    Thanks for looking W.B
  • WessB
    The pics just don't fit my experience...your steak looked great..but I feel if I cooked a steak at those temps for that time..it certainly would NOT look like your pictures..and would be entirely overdone..
  • 2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20007.JPG?psid=1

Pic with the old Trend brand thermo replaced last week.... As you know when you put a hunk of meat on any grill the temp drops a bit. I let my steaks sit out for about 30 minutes before the cooks so it was not right out the fridge.
    AnyWho, it was a sweet Ribeye!
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    West, how did you finish those steaks? TRex? (They look awesome!)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I truly believe what you say. But I can't fathom cooking a i-lb. steak that close to 665° coals as in your photo for 10 minutes. It would be incinerated. I don't know Wess, but I have to shake my head in unison with him.
    Judy in San Diego
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    sometimes we just don't need words.

:)
    context is important :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    My steak would be carbon at that temp,
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Steak looks great to me. Who was it that was saying the mini is a joke? Seems like it does a pretty good job to me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• WessB
    OK...here's my take on all this based on pictures and comments you posted in this thread...
    Your dome may have in fact been reporting an accurate 665, based on a full load of burning, or I should say, "flaming" lump...
    If I were to experince a 200° temp drop from adding meat I would be looking for what is wrong...either the meat is so big it's choking off the bulk of the airflow..or the thermometer is hitting the meat..something isn't right....
    Lastly, there is not an egg built of any size that can stabalize or even maintain 665° with the daisy wheel on and closed.
    I'm not trying to argue with you about it....I just hate to see some newbie properly stabalize an egg only to turn a decent steak into petrified beef.
    I can only call em like I see em....
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    My question is how in the world can you get to 655 with the daisy on and set for 350ºish? :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Wess,

Maybe the starter squares were still burning. :ermm: :P
  • Thanks for all the interest in my dinner cook. I don't know what else to say except I simply shared with you the pics of cooking my dinner and they don't really lie. I see no reason to make up a story about how I cooked my dinner? I cooked it like I showed you and it turned out great!
    Different strokes for different folks and different results for different cooks.
  • Hey G&C, your ribeyes looked great. Have experienced WAY high temps on my mini, so I know where you're coming from. Hot n fast is the way to go for steak. Don't cook much ribeye myself, but a hanger steak (my favorite) would have needed 3-4 mins on the first side and just long enough to get a nice sear on the second side at those temps (and still hold a nice, bloody middle).
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Wonderful... a great reminder to cruise through your blog!
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Wess, I believe it. In florida on a hot day I can maintain 350 without lighthing the egg. I have cooked many steaks without any lump in my mini.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    It's posts like this is why a lot of us don't come around no more, WRONG INFORMATION AGAIN

First off I throw that Thermo away.

There are hot spots in a Egg all the time, now when you have a XL there will be hot spots and cold spots if thats what you want to call it. Of course the larger the Egg then more likely there will be more cold spots.
    Now on a Mini the whole inside is a hot spot.

If that was 665 and you cooked both sides 5 min. each side your not showing the right steak then. Or you should get a better watch.

If you can't give the right information then just post your picture and be proud of it, nice looking steak, but this post is not telling the right story. If I was a newb and did it the way you told me to do it, I be real pissed off for destroying a good piece of meat.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    For my own edification, where is the dividing line between "hot enough" and "too hot"? The last time I did burgers, my dome measured 640° while my cooking surface (cast iron griddle) measured 560° (with an infrared thermometer). I did them for 5 min/side and ended up with perfect med-rare. The steak shown here was significantly larger than my burger, so I would expect it would handle a bit higher heat without much problem over a period of 5 min/side.

With that said, the last steaks I did (under somewhat similar temp conditions) were wagyu filets, and I only did them for 2 min per side - but I was specifically trying to keep them rare - bordering on what would be considered "blue".

Personally, I don't find the original poster's tale completely implausible. That was a pretty big piece of meat, compared to what I usually grill. I don't have a problem thinking it would take a bit more heat OK. I could just be crazy though, of course.

Just my 2¢.

__Jason
  • Ripnem
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • This debate over how I cooked a steak is VERY entertaining to me!
    Like Adam shows :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO!
    I know how I cooked it, I know the Ribeye was very tasty and don't think I need to go into extreme detail, and also know I have had that Mini almost 15 years cooking steaks on it.
    (Notice the seams on the dome of the Mini which speak's for its age)
    Thanks for all the interest!
  • Ripnem
    Here's my bet. You got a healthy fire going, 650º+ and then put the daisy on to simmer that big flame a bit, put the meat on and the combo of chopping off air and some cold meat (only a lb., not a big piece, really) and your mini settled in at 400+/- and you cooked it for 5 and 5 or 6 and 6 or whichever. Still pretty surprised it didn't completely overcook at 450, that close to the coals for that long. The steaks only an inch thick.

Regarding the photos, you can't get a 655º fire with the daisy in that position. Ever
  • OMG Adam! Were you peaking over my shoulder? I could not have described it better. I did not know I needed to go into such extreme detail describing my cooks. I will post the minutes and stenographers dictation on the next cook to be clearer on how I cook.

I like Little Chef's quote the best!

Always remember, there are many ' correct ' methods to cook the same thing on the Egg!! Try all suggestions, and choose the method you like best!
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    I would like to replicate your cook; however, I don't know what breed of cow your steak came from, or what religious laws it was slaughtered by. I guess I can only dream of how it really tasted...

__Jason
  • WessB
    Well then maybe you should edit your original post so newbies or others don't do what you "SAID" you did and end up trashing a piece of meat...The forum is to "share knowlwedge and experiences" one shouldn't expect others to read between the lines..
    LC's quote does NOT apply to your post at all.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Wess, I think the newbies and others will just be concerned with how much people put his cook under a microscope, not the extreme detail of the cook. Get over it, it's a steak cook, and it looked good. Nice job G&C.
  • Ripnem
    John,

Totally disagree. The new egger will walk away with a number of things:

1. a 1 pound ribeye, about an inch thick

2. Cooked at 655º

3. For 5 minutes per side

4. will get you a nice medium cooked steak, with not too much char

This just isn't the case. THAT MATTERS!

What really happened was he cooked the steak at about 400º and got lucky it wasn't dry as a bone. Too much 'Beating the chest' syndrome over higher temps. Kinda like the same syndrome over years egging. :P