Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hairline Egg Crack

Options
Fishbucket
Fishbucket Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,

I just found a slight crack on both the inside and outside of my egg. Not exactly sure how it got there and would like to know if anyone has had this problem and whether or not it will effect the cooking process.

Thanks,

Frank

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    It shouldn't affect the cooking. However, you should take a pic to your dealer and inquire about a warranty replacement.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It should be a warranty issue, get it replaced :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Frank, my theory on warranties is, if you have one and need one, USE it!

My theory on hairline cracks is, they will never get smaller. And when they get larger..........

mini002-1.jpg

Look at it this way; now you have a new egg base (at least I assume it's the base) AND a planter for that herb garden you've always wanted. :)

photo courtesy of lowercasebill.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fishbucket
    Options
    Holy cracked egg Batman ! Wow ! Thanks for sharing your misery Michael. Cracks a crack and it must go back in my case I agree. I'll have to see if they'll continue to let me use it until a replacement bottom can be sent. It's such a tiny hairline crack too. Oh well.....Thanks all, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Frank
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    not my misery, it was bill's (and he now has a new mini base).

you don't normally have to return stuff, or even show them the part in person. a pic should suffice; it has for me anyway. use the cracked egg til you get the new part. though you might want to avoid the hi temp cooks.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a cracked firebox (in fact I am as we speak) or fire ring, but the outer shell? not so much. better safe than sorry. just my 2¢.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• apollo140140
    Options
    take a picture of the crack, take it to your dealer, they should be able to get you a replacement piece. Continue to use your old one until it breaks, less wear and tear on the new one until you absolutely have too.
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Although not mentioned in the warranty the crack might have been the result of using a 16 inch pizza stone instead of a 15. The 16 just fit barely but left hardly any opening. Burn n' learn.

Frank
  • egganator
    egganator Posts: 18
    Options
    Definately go for replacement. Try the picture thing but warranty states it must be returned so they can look at it and decide whether or not it is a warranty. I had one shatter in 1997 and when I called they sent me a new one no questions and no pictures asked, so it depends on what kind of mood they are in I guess. Keep us informed.
  • Fishbucket
    Options
    I gave a picture to the dealer, seems all I had to do, that and wait.

I used the cast iron grill last night for the first time and got the DT up to like 1100 crazy hot then seared a 1.5 lb veal loin chop. The searing was impressive, way more so than my Viking. Matter of fact the searing blew me away, best chop I've ever cooked and I've cooked a lot of chops, it was so good I may have to relive the experience again tonight. As for the existing crack it held it's very small size despite the high temps.

Frank