Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket cook time

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll start out by saying I've cooked several briskets, all turning out quite nice. Having said that, I've never been able to rely on the old, " 1 1/2 hours per pound" mumbo jumbo. I've found that most shoulders average around 2 1/4-2 1/2 hours per pound. Would that be a safe rule of thumb for a brisket? Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Your question doesn't include what temp you cook at. If you are over 2 hrs/lb on butts, then I would guess you are also closer to 225 dome temp.

At that temp, you may be over 1.5 hrs/lb for brisket too
  • AJM
    AJM Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jerry,
    I think you should monitor the internal temp. to determine when it's ready. I wait till it hits 195 then pull it, wrap it up and let it rest for at least 1 hour. Give that a try. Should be perfect.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've cooked at least a dozen briskets and they have always been done between 1 and 1.5 hours/pound. I generally cook a 15 pound packer cut at about 225 grid temp (250 dome).

The time is just a guide. On a brisket use the fork test to check for tenderness before removing it. I start checking when the internal temp reaches 185 and it is usually done between 190 and 205 internal.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    a local boy. I cook at 225. The "range" has never been close to 1.5 per pound. Ive found that 2 to 2.5 is more accurate. Just wanted to check if anyone has experienced a similar cook time. I wanna know so I can do a brisket with my controller while I'm at work or away from home. Thanks.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yeah your dome temp is way too low. Grid temp will be 190-200 and will take forever to get done. Bump the dome temp to 250-270 (grid now 225) and enjoy a faster cook, less charcoal used and a tastier brisket (because you're eating sooner!).