Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: fess up! I will! Are you hoarding light bulbs?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this isn't a BGE topic, but this forum is a GREAT cross section of Americana! In less than 6 months we can not buy the same light bulbs which most all of us grew up knowing. Our home is equipped with lamps, canisters and other fixtures which will not accept those friggen government imposed Chinese lights. Am I the only one squirreling away many MANY years worth of light bulbs? Come on FESS UP...I just did! :laugh:
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    nope, we have been buying 2 -4pack every weekend since before the law was passed.
    Although the amount of mercury (Hg)in the lamp is small, start multiplying the disposal cost by 1/2 the households in the US and you will have a major disposal problem in the future. Nope I going to hold out as long as possible.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I haven't been but might. I have dimmer switches in one form or another all through my house and only buy 100W incandescent bulbs. I never run them at full power and 99.99% of the time only have one on at a time as I live alone. I would be banned from the forum if I voiced my opinion of the government so I wont. ;) :laugh:

Blair

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    No I use the squiggly bulbs everywhere except the front porch.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If your power comes from a coal power plant the extra power that you use by using incandescent bulbs actually puts more mercury into the environment than if you were to just use squiggly bulbs and toss them. Coal power plants are the leading source of mercury in air and water pollution.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I signed up for wind power when we moved to Austin. We had wind power and biomas (it stunk and made me sneeze every time I drove by it) plant in our town in Ca and never had a problem, even when our power was diverted to LA during the Enron debacle. The coal power plants in NCa had those big scrubbers that prevented pollutants release into the environment. I had CARB as one of my customers and got to see the tabulated results.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • PawpawEgg
    PawpawEgg Posts: 26
    Options
    I am more concerned with ammo!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    ;) Our local Farm Service Store says he sells out faster than he can order it! :blink:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I've been on a news set because the "news" makes me angry. Now Im going to but a crapload of light bulbs. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The scrubbers do not remove mercury.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Been on the new style bulbs since we built our house 8 years ago. Most of the bulbs are about that old. They last a really long time. But they dont look as good, I will admit.
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    My dad is 71, and I never hear the end of this! He asks me ALL THE TIME if I've started stocking up on bulbs. He's in such an uproar - it's unreal! Needless to say, he has more than he'd use in four lifetimes! And he continues to buy.... :laugh:

Me - I'm not buying. I'm not educated enough on the subject to give a good reason WHY. I just don't have time in my life to worry about light bulbs.

PS - RRP - I've got wings marinating since thursday night. Going to try Georgia Red Wings tonight! (I know it's not your recipe.....)
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    No. I converted to CFL bulbs a couple of years ago. In two rooms, I went from using 1,430 watts to 242 watts. The CFL bulbs do contain mercury, but the recycle center accepts them. We put burned out CFL bulbs and dead batteries in a sack and take them when the sack is full.

I hate the squiggles too. But, all of my bulbs have a cover, and also, I get soft white, which is the same temperature (color) as tungsten.

The only thing I don't like about CFL is that it takes about 30 seconds for the brightness to peak.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I think the law let's you use halogen bulbs. These bulbs meet the energy requirement and provide a warm light that can use a dimmer switch.
    Halogen is inert so no disposal problems and you can buy bulbs that are clear.
    If you object to the cool light ( I do) or have fixtures that don't look good without clear bulbs (I do) then check out halogen or tungsten-halogen.
    The energy consumption is 30 percent less for the same lumens, the life is 7 times longer. The pay back for the life and energy is very good.
    CFLs may be the only choce by 2020 but not for 2012. That is if the Feds don't chane the law again.
    WLL
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    The gas florescent twisties do not work in cold weather. :angry: So we use incandescent long life and they work fine. Ron, what is this world coming to if we are left without choices? Good thing I live in Ice Age Wisconsin, laws don't take in effect until 10 years after mandate because nobody thinks or cares about us. Unless they want to hug trees, camp, go to a water park, drink beer, eat cheese and brats, fish and hunt and trap. :lol:
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    After they come for our light bulbs they will come for our lump. Eventually only solar powered grills will be allowed by the EcoNazis.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I've already switched everything over, except for one case of incandescents to keep my Easy Bake Oven going. ;)

Folks, the fluorescent bulbs are just a temporary thing too, Edison-base LEDs are just around the corner and will become de facto when they do.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    Supposedly, the U.S. has about 4 billion lights using incandescent light bulbs. Consider the electrical savings. The European Union is phasing out incandescent bulbs and Australia did so in 2009.

Screenshot2011-07-09at90745AM.png
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    no i have not but i will soon i know of a few fixtures that will need the old ones

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Here's an issue that really pi$$es me off. I looked at these new bulbs and they cost about $30 - $50 per bulb in my area. To replace the bulbs in my house would cost over $4000. I can think of a lot of other things to spend $4000 on. I know these bulbs last a long time and will save money over the long run but you cannot tell me that there isn't some serious price gouging going on. My main concern is for the folks that are barely able to make ends meet - how do they afford a $50 bulb? I can see a lot of folks switching to candles or huddled around open flames because they can't afford a damn light bulb. How environmentally friendly and safe will that be? Maybe “The Man” will create a light bulb subsidy or coupon program – not that we can afford that but since when would that matter? I'm all about helping save the environment but I'm also all about saving money. Until the price of those new bulbs comes down significantly I'll continue to hoard and use incandescent bulbs.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    What what what? I am totally not up on current affairs. I can't use my current light bulbs anymore? What's the dif between what I use now and what I will have to use later? I know this will sound weird but I can't see well in a certain kind of light. The kind of light that big stores use. I'm practically blind in Costco, but I go there anywhere. I avoid shopping at any big stores like Macy's, etc., because the lights really bother my eyes. Indoor malls are pretty much out for me.

I don't really even know the dif between all the light bulbs avail. I just get the old-fashioned ones that have been around forever. My husband buys the squiggly ones sometimes, but I don't like those. And a lot of our lights in this house are those flattish shaped ones that go in canned ceiling light wells. (Hate those too.)
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    The difference is that the nanny state has determined that the Edison light bulb shall not be manufactured after a certain date, nevermind that there is no Constitutional authority to do so in the USA.
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    Botch wrote:
    I've already switched everything over, except for one case of incandescents to keep my Easy Bake Oven going. ;)

Folks, the fluorescent bulbs are just a temporary thing too, Edison-base LEDs are just around the corner and will become de facto when they do.

I agree, the LED will take over before the first batch of CFL are worn out.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have not been buying them at all but I have switched and started buying LED bulbs.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Other than a few lights that are tiny halogens or are on dimmers, I've had CFLs installed for many years. So no, I'm not hoarding incandescents...but I can understand why others might.