Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

himilayan salt block questions

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
for you folks that use salt blocks in your eggs, i just got one and am going to use it tonight for the first time....so i have some questions for those that have experience:

1. do you use it direct over the fire? or indirect on a grid over an inverted plate setter?

2. do you heat up the egg first to 400 - 500 degrees, or do you put the salt block in the egg as soon as you light it and let them heat up together?

3. do you brush oil on your food prior to putting it on the salt block (things like shrimp skewers or fish filets) or do you just season the foods and put them on the block 'dry'?

4. do you remove the block as soon as the food comes off or let it cool down with the egg?

thanks in advance for your answers!!! and any other good tips of experience you'd like to share

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have an 8x8x2 and let it come up to temp with my small in the direct mode. When doing shrimp or seafood as the dome hits 450 I start the cook. Beef, pork I get it to 550 or so and then add the food. Also I do not remove the meat and let the temp come down after the sear, just shut the egg down and watch the food temp as the block acts as a heat diffuser.

Depending on food I usually have a little oil or butter on the food and place on the block without any further liquid--more liquid--more salt flavor.

I leave the block on overnight as the bge cools down and the next day set it in sink and quickly brush with running water. Just to get the junk off. on the next cook the top becomes the bottom and burns the goo off. NEVER place the block on the egg until it has had at least a day to air dry as any moisture in the fissures will expand and maybe blow the block. Search Himalayan in the bge forum and there are several other comments. Lamb chops are great with some zaatar. hehe. Enjoy
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    richard, THANKS!!! thats a big help! . .figured i'd start of with some shrimp skewers or a slab of fish to test it out, then move to something like a hanger steak ....

wonder how a spatchcocked chicken would be on it, or do you need more direct contact with the food and block to really get the benefit?
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I treat it like a cast iron pan for quick sears, blackened fish eggcetra. Don't know if the long time on the block would do the spatchcock any good. I have done boneless breast on 500f and they were great.Play around and report back.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    gotcha...boneless breast sounds good....i guess its the total food contact that is the key!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Max:

1. Yes, Direct on the grid. Like Richard said, think of it like a CI skillet.
    2. Bring up to temp with the Egg
    3. I prefer dry seasoning, though we have done both (Less goop on = less goop left behind)
    4. Let it cool down with the egg. I usually rinse it as soon as it is cool enough to handle. I use hot water and a scrunge. Wet it, turn water off, scrub it, rinse. The salt will remain a bit discolored, but no goop left behind.

Personal notes:
    Don't panic when you watch your pristine piece of salt turn into a slab full of tiny fissures and cracks. This is to be expected.

The hotter the salt, the better the sear. We use our IR thermo, and usually wait until the salt is about 475-500* before searing. The hotter the sear, again, less goop left behind. If it doesn't sizzle, let the stone heat further.

As you experiment, you will find the wetter the food that goes on, the more salt flavor it will pick up. Steaks don't pick up much, but scallops on the other hand do.

Remember your salt can be used at room temp for sushi and such. Thin slices of sashimi will actually 'cook' a bit if presented on the block. For this reason, I use one side of the block for searing (which will discolor the salt), and leave the other side for cold presentations.

I also agree, I don't think a spatchcocked bird will benefit from this method. It is definately a 'surface contact' benefit. Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your results.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is "goop" a professional culinary term? :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Absolutely! Goop, goo, gunk, yuckiness .... :laugh:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thanks for the additional data...i'm looking forward to having some new adventures with this thing ....

and steven, i certainly understand the Goop term!! ...must be an american thing!!
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    How does the salt block affect taste, re seasoning as to amount of salt or just use normal amounts for the recipes. Thanks in advance.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I just season as usual before using the salt block. If you have some liquid, butter, oil etc on the food it will make a little salt pool, but no biggie. Salt can be added after the cook if you want more.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Also are Medical terms - goo, yuck, gunk, gag... :whistle::sick: :laugh: :laugh: