Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vinegar-based bbq sauce recipe?

Options
certified_prime
certified_prime Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's your favorite north caroline style vinegar-based sauce recipe? I absolutely loved the style when I spent 2 years travelling to Charlotte for work a couple years ago, and want to whip some up at home.

I'll be smoking a couple pork butts this weekend, and want a good NC sauce for table use.

I see most recipes online are just cider vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Is that all it really? The ones I had in NC seemed a bit more complex than that....

Comments

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    Search the site for Elder Ward's Pulled Pork. He has a pretty good spicy vinegar recipe in it.
  • groceryman
    Options
    Lexington Style Pork Sauce:
    3/4 cp cider vinegar
    3/4 cp ketchup
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    salt andd pepper to taste
    2 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cp water

Simmer for ten minutes or so to blend flavors. Mix in with your meat as you're chopping. Also good as an ingredient in the 'Red Slaw"
  • egganator
    egganator Posts: 18
    Options
    Vinegar Sauce 5 STAR and 3 Championships

2 cups cider vinegar

½ cup water

1 tbs red chili flakes

2 tbs sugar

1 ½ tsp Worcestershire

1 ½ tsp kosher salt

1 ½ tsp ground black pepper

1 cup ketchup

Whisk the vinegar, water, chili flakes, sugar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and ketchup in a medium saucepan over low heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This is my favorite for pulled pork. -RP

2 cups apple cider vinegar
    3 oz yellow mustard
    ½ stick butter
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    ¼ tsp sugar
    1 tbs lemon juice
    16 oz ketchup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    This is the one my grandmother gave me. It is supposedly the one used by the local volunteer fire department in Clarkton, NC (Lisbon) which was the very first real bbq I ever had back when I was 7.

1/8 gallon vinegar
    1/2 ounces lemon juice
    1/8 ounce red pepper
    1/4 sticks margarine
    1/8 gallon catsup
    1/2 ounces Hot sauce
    1/8 ounce black pepper
    Salt to taste
    1/8 cup honey

Instructions
    Combine and heat over medium heat until flavors blend.
    Could be easily reduced to 1/4 recipe which would still make 1/2 gallon; however, should keep for ages in the refrigerator.
    The Fire Department used either a whole pig or whole fresh hams. (recipe as given to me on a 3x5 notecard from my grandmother. I have already reduced it here)

I use this as a finishing sauce for my pulled pork, after hickory smoking a pork butt at 250f degrees for about 1 1/2 hours per pound. I like to serve on plain hamburger buns, the pork tossed lightly in sauce, and slaw on top.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    The book Smoke and Spice has a couple of very tasty vinegar based bbq sauces. We have become very fond of the mustard/vinegar type - not sure which part of the Carolinas that is from - being from up north and all.