Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever Have This Happen??

BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the 4th weekend we had my nephew and his girlfriend over for a meal. I did beef filets on large #1 and twice baked potatoes on large #2. I was using RO Steakhouse in both. I fired them both up and noticed a strange smell coming from #2 (yes I said #2 but go with me).

The meal went well and no one said anything, but I could taste a funky flavor in the potatoes. I checked it the next a.m. and found what must have been a piece of plastic in the lump and welded to the side of the firebox. I think all of us have found rocks, metal, etc, but this really smelled bad.

I did a 800+ degree clean burn tonight and could smell it for the first hour and then it seemed to be gone. It is almost cooled now and I swear I can still smell it. I am going to wire brush the hell out of the firebox when it cools and do another clean burn tomorrow night, but not sure I can trust RO anymore. I can put up with rocks and metal, but this toxic material is not acceptable!!

Mike
Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    It's a funny thing about smells but once you have them in your head it's easy to still think they are there way after the event. Like you I'd do the first clean burn but I'd imagine this would clear it, you may find that when you do a second light there won't be a smell.
    Nasty thing to find in the lump.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    I think I would consider contacting them. Probably wouldn't do a lot of good, but maybe they will look for the cause for the future.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I found a tootsie roll wrapper once....but not in Royal Oak.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We have scorpions and lots of spiders down here and I have never been comfortable reaching into the bag for lump. :( The other day I bought a plastic bin for the lump and now I can see just what I am grabbing. :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tennvol
    tennvol Posts: 15
    I had this happen on my 3rd cook - not only did I get a smell but it was enough of an issue that it also caused the temp to nosedive. I was able to get rid of it pretty quick by burning hot so I guess I was lucky whatever it was burned awsy without sticking to anything in the egg. This was BGE Lump I was using.

Jeff
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Often when it comes out of the bag it's most likely black and hard to see. :ermm:

I still dump and light. :unsure:

I'm talking about the red 10 pound bags RO. I have found lots of rocks and debris including a large rock in bags of RO. I will not stop using the RO lump because the good out weighs the bad. Tim :)

000_1744.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Not saying good or bad because I use and really like using RO lump in the red bag. BGE lump is made by RO. Tim ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I buy the identical stuff and store it 2 bags at a time in a Rubbermade tub. I get a pretty good look at it prior to scooping it into the eggs. Plastic is not so gouda tho :pinch:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I pulled this out of a bag of RO a couple years ago. It was plastic and fortunately I found it before I lit it. It is sitting on a large ceramic cap for size comparison. -RP

IMG_1153Small.jpg
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I found a chunk of asphalt last night. very surprised, I always check the lump as i dump it in, and throw away any non fully carbonized pieces. this one looked wierd and soft, forgot to take a picture before throwing it in the woods.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Bowhunr,
    Where in Omaha do you buy Royal Oak? I found it at Menards but was Steak House and popped and cracked like crazy.
  • BOWHUNR
    I bought 30 bags of the RO Steakhouse at Menard's on 120th & Dodge when they had their Memorial Day sale. They also had the red bag RO, at that time anyway. I have been happy with it up until this incident and have only noticed the popping when I light it with my Mapp torch. I think I'm going to buy a clear plastic tote and look it over good before using.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mudflap
    Wow, 30 bags! That must have been some deal. I'm bummed I missed it. I usually go to the Elkhorn Menards and they only have Steak house or red bags of briquets. I'll have to check out the 120th location.

I agree with hand sorting the charcoal. My go to lately has been Cowboy Brand. I found a lot of rocks in the RO Steak House bags I tried. I just re-checked the Naked Whiz's ratings and see that the Steak House is rated higher than the Cowboy. I'm going to give it another shot and keep my eyes open for the Menard's ads.
  • Ripnem
    Guys,

That RO steakhouse stuff is the same thing as the BGE 20 bags that are going for $24+ on the street. My Menards is always about 4.50 for the 8.8 lb bag and I try and give each bag a patdown to see if it feels like a bunch of dust or if you can actually feel some larger pieces. That has been my only complaint of the RO is every so often I'll get a bag of lump that can only really be used in the mini.
  • BOWHUNR
    Mudflap,

I just ordered 12 bags of Ozark Oak Natural Lump from http://www.grillstuff.com/ozark-oak-natural-lump-charcoal-10lb.html?productid=4441. If you order over $100.00 the shipping is free. It has a very good rating on the Whiz' site. I'll let you know how it works out.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mudflap
    Bowhunter,
    Please do! I just read the review after seeing your post. You are not kidding it has a good review. You can't beat free shipping either. I'm usually not that great of a planner to order 10+ bags at a time. I'd prefer to be able to pick it up locally, but if it is as good as the rating and reader's rankings I'll be sure to start ordering it.

I'm assuming you can send me a direct message on this forum and I'm looking forward to hearing how well you like it.

Thanks.
  • BOWHUNR
    I'm lucky to have enough room at my office/shop to store bulk lump. I don't have enough room at home to store large quantities. I'll email you through the forum when I get a chance to cook with the Ozark Oak.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Ripnem
    Ozark Oak Rocks! I'm just not sure it's worth about twice the price vs. the RO i currently use. My parents bring a bunch when they visit from Arkansas and they only pay 4.50 or so per bag. I guess I'm just too used to the 50 cents a pound and hate paying more. I also like buying ripped bags for even less. :P
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    That is the craziest thing I've ever seen! The other day I bought a 10 lb. bag of rocks and there was a huge piece of lump charcoal in it! lol...
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    That is the craziest thing I've ever seen! The other day I bought a 10 lb. bag of rocks and there was a huge piece of lump charcoal in it! lol...