Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Comments or Opinions

Options
Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On using this new style grate? http://www.high-que.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    Wow NOMEXT with Self adhesive stuff hmmmm anyways.

I think that would INCREASE your airflow ALOT. But is
    that good or bad. Would it change the way your pit
    reacts to vent settings? I think so.... Good or Bad
    hmmmmmmm Wont Crack!

I don't like starting the fire on the bottom of the
    lump though. Start on top and let it burn down takes
    longer.

Hopefully someone has used it already.
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    My main concern is how well will it hold the coals. I mean whenever you use the coals for 2 cooks they get so small anyways and sometimes you get the small pieces of lump as well. So my concern is am I going to lose alot of the small pieces of charcoal every time I cook or what? Overall I am thinking about ordering this thing and I think it would be convenient as hell but I want to wait around and see if anyone else has tried it.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Got the new grate a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get it in the egg. I think it's going to be a winner though!
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Keep us posted on the grate and how it works for you.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    Naked Whiz did a write up on this product, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/high-que/highq.htm

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dave,

That grate has nothing to do with controlling your fire. That is handled by the top vent (daisy) and the lower vent 'ONLY'. They allow the combustion air in and exhaust out.

The problem I in-vision is one of letting too much through and setting on the floor of the egg. Like after an afternoon of cooking I could see the possibility of having a pile of coals continuing from the fire grate through to the floor of the egg and betch'a that is pretty hot situation.

If you haven't seen it yet, BGE came out with a new fire grate and the thing is about twice as thick as the last stock grate.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey Adam,
    Are the hole size and position about the same on the new thicker BGE grate? Have yet to see one.
    Thanks,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Everything seems the same as the old, just on roids.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thanks man.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I have one and installed it after using my stock 2011 grate for about a week.

To be completely honest it isn't a slam dunk. I think the Egg does heat up faster; on the other hand, as others have suspected, you do get more small coals and ash falling through. In my experience, it is not a problematic amount, however... just noticeably more.

I think the coals that slip through are really borderline useful even with the stock grate--I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the new grate by any means.

I would only suggest buying one if you feel like you want a faster-responding egg, or if you feel like you have to mess with the ash and fuel bed too much in order to reach high heat.

It may be a better product for people who prefer fuel that comes in bigger pieces. I am using Lazzari now, and with those logs, this grate is no problem for sure.
  • horseflesh
    Options
    Ripnem wrote:
    The problem I in-vision is one of letting too much through and setting on the floor of the egg. Like after an afternoon of cooking I could see the possibility of having a pile of coals continuing from the fire grate through to the floor of the egg and betch'a that is pretty hot situation.

FWIW, I did a 20 hour 200-220F cook with BGE lump and this grate and didn't have that problem.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    horseflesh,

Those aren't the kind of afternoons that will produce a pile of small orange lump. It's more the grilling setting that I'm picturing, not so much using it as a smoker. When at 400-500 for a few hours, you get a healthy amount of the glowing orange lump and too much of that may be a problem, may not.
  • horseflesh
    Options
    OK, yeah, I have not run it that hot for that long with this grate. It's possible.