Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CWM Ribs

tacodawg
tacodawg Posts: 335
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I did some CWM's ribs. Everyone said they were great. The flavor was great but I thought a little dry. Do you put water/juice or some liquid in the drip pan? My temps were good and I spritzed like it said. Thanks always looking to make something better
photo-20.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Tim, you've got a great smoke ring on them. Re-read the recipe and I think that'll get them spot on.
    Happy 4th!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    If they were dry they probably weren't quite done. Sometimes they take a little longer than normal, but with average size back ribs I usually find 5 hours works, sometimes another half hour is better if they are a little bigger. You didn't say how long you went, but that's what works for me. I don't mess with liquid in drip pans or spritzing, I keep the lid closed, and sauce the last 45 minutes or so if desired.
    Your's look pretty darn good!
  • tacodawg
    They were on for 5 hours.. I had a maverick down the top and watched my temp real good.. I was afraid of going longer and drying them out. The bend test was real close, they did not bend in half but started the bark started to crack. Maybe just a little longer or a little warmer. No complaints just always wanting to get better.. Thanks.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    I had the same experience with St. Louis Ribs a few weeks back. Like another poster said, I think you might not have been all the way done. When I did mine I had a nice bend test and thought I was good to go. They tasted great but things were a little tough. After reading responses on the forum, we threw them in the oven for a bit later on and they were much better. That was my first go-round on ribs with the Egg so I don't have much experience at all. Take anything I say with a grain of salt ;)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Looks like your doin great. :) Foiling a bit longer will get you more tender and possibly the impression of more moist ribs.
    Happy 4th Tim!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Tim- I'm sure they were tasty, they look good. I know what you mean about dry though - I always use a drip pan and usually fill with a juice/water/wine mixutre. Sometimes I spritz, sometimes I don't. I defnitely spritzed yesterday with my rib cook from hades. The only other thing I do is foil the ribs near the end, removing the foil and saucing them about 30 minutes or so before serving (just long enough for the sauce to set). Clearly, after my fiasco yesterday I'm no pro. But the folks on the forum gave me enough advice that it worked out....Happy 4th!
  • tacodawg
    Thanks for all the input. Never foiled ribs before and not saying its bad but cooked many on my offset and plenty moist. I think I will try putting liquid in the drip pan and rely on the bend test a little more. Do most of you use a rib rack if space is not an issueor lay them flat?
    Thanks
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Whenever possible flat.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Tim:

Lay them flat to get the most even cooking. If I remember right, CWM doesn't use foiling.

Foiling (with the sweet and liquid additions in the foiling stage) gives them a bit of steaming and makes them more fall-off-the-bone in texture. I prefer it, and it's the middle "1" in the 3-1-1 method.
    Judy in San Diego
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Tim, I can't tell from your pics, but were the bones exposed about a 1/3 or 1/2 inch or so? I generally use the bend test and make sure the bones are exposed to determine doneness. Glad your friends liked them! :)