Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic - Face Book questions

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yes, I know we have an OT board and I'm pretty good about adhering to using it, so excuse me this time.

Here's my problem: Neither my wife or I are on Face Book or any other social thing. At our ages we know who and where our friends and very few living relatives are and they know who and where we are...so we see no need to disclose anything more to the world! OTOH we have recently been put into a position where we need to have access to "pages" or "profiles" or whatever the heck they are called on Face Book! Is there some low level of joining Face Book without disclosing much IF ANY personal information? Thank you for your assistance if you care to reply either here or via email so we can take it off line.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Ron you can limit the info and keep most of it private and just don't click on any dumb links. I joined to keep up with our older digital kids and grandkids but also enjoy posts from the many friends I've made here in the forum. Feel free to give me a hollar.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I have a FB and have virtually no personal information available to anyone - other than photos. I do not publish my email address (and used a secondary address anyway) - didn't list my hometown, my school, and don't tag friends or relatives. I also don't play any games or answer any surveys - anything that asks to link to my address book I cancel and exit. I don't stay logged in and have privacy settings set to limit who can see what, etc. They change things often and it gets frustraring - but I do enjoy chatting back and forth with friends. I joined at the behest of family , but have since reconnected with high school friends and even teachers. We've picked up where we ended all those years ago and it's been great. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it. :)
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    What they both said, but some of the "links" that are posted can be very inviting. I never open any links regardless of who sent them. Accounts get hacked into all the time. However, Facebook can be a good way to communicate with friends and family.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    You are exactly right. If it sounds to good to be true, it is. I have gotten some great deals from the Lowe's wall though....$10 coupons - and they had some great deals this spring if you bought online and picked up at the store. FB is like most any other place on the net - you have to be careful.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    A few (?) years ago The Naked Whiz announced something about his debut into Facebook, some particular thing he was promoting, perhaps. To see it, I had to register with Facebook. But I've never gone any further with providing information, etc. and I can access anyone's page. You only see what they want you to unless you become a "friend?--and I ain't going there!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    like has all been said Ron, very easy and you can set the settings how ever you like. I have one friend that has it so only approved friends can see his page but NO ONE can post anything on it. you have to email him. that is about as basic as it gets. no bad links that way at all :)
  • EgginTiger
    EgginTiger Posts: 101
    betcha u can't c my page, let alone find it ;) it's all in the settings as 2 who can see ur page & who can find it....if u can't find it, u can't c it :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Yes you can. I don't post personal info or advertise where I am every 5 minutes. Unreal what people post.