Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked a tritip on the mini tonight

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Direct @ around 450 for about 5 minutes a side for a quick sear, then pulled and set in some foil to rest while the egg cooled (didn't take long - it was a bloody storm tonight!!), then inserted the temp probe and cooked it "slightly" indirect (just a few sheets of foil to keep the fire from scorching the meat directly) at about 325 for almost an hour. Pulled at 128F, let it rest for 15 minutes.

Was perfectly cooked. My dog was going NUTS at how good it smelled in our kitchen... haha.

Sorry no pics, was raining and my hosting account is suspended until 1 July for exceeding my bandwidth for June. lol

Comments

• SnakePlissken
    Options
    I was thinking of doing the same thing today in my mini. How many pre-cooked pounds was your tri-tip?
  • Rezen73
    Options
    1.6 pounds. It was quite small, but not the smallest I've seen.

Still amazed at how well the mini works. I shouldn't, since it is indeed an egg. :D
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    That is a really small tri tip. most 800ish pound steers will yield two tri tips at roughly 3 lbs each. Maybe the butcher cut yours in half!
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Hah, nah. Problem is in this country, they don't sell tritips whole. They use slice them up and sell em as Chinese stir fry meat.

When I told the butcher what I planned his eyes lit up, he got all excited haha.

Anyway he told me next time I want a whole tritip, to just phone him a couple of days ahead and he'll save it for me without letting any go to Chinese stirfry. lol
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking instructions. Will try this cook on our mini.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    A whole hour???? I cook them raised and direct on the Small Egg, but even at 325-350°, it only takes about 20-25 minutes at the most to get to 125° before pulling it off. For a pink middle. Don't have to sear it, it gets a nice sear just from cooking and I turn it once. Was it a really huge one?
    Judy in San Diego