Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsploding Green Egg

Tricolor 1824
Tricolor 1824 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking ribs this weekend on my BGE. After about 5 hours, the ribs were done; I removed them from the grill, removed the heat diffusion plate, allowed the grill to heat up and then threw the chicken on. After checking the progress of the chicken for the second time, I shut the lid to the Big Green Egg and nearly closed the top damper. I heard a sudden rush of air, then a brief period of silence then BOOM. The top lid of the BGE lifted up about 2 inches and this huge smoke cloud rushed out from inside the grill. I then opened the grill. The chicken was intact but the lower gasket became unseated and was nearly fused to the top lid gasket. No lighter fluid was used to start the grill and the chicken was not marinated in alcohol. Any thoughts on what that explosion was all about?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    that my dear was a flash back :)
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm
    the below is from Whizes site:
    Instead we recommend that you open the bottom vent and the top vent all the way for about 10 seconds before you open the lid. The lid should then be opened slowly about 1 inch for a few seconds and then the lid can be opened all the way. This allows most of the hot gases to burn and exit the cooker before you open the lid and expose the gaskets.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    usually happens when your opening a hot egg, but ive had them sitting there, start rumbling, then boom the dome pops a bit and the fire shoots out the lower vent, keep kids and small animals away from the lower vent :) this seems to happen more with newer eggs, mine doesnt mumble any more but will still bite you with a fireball, gotta love the smell of burnt popcorn hair on your arms
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Started building up heat for a pizza cook.
    IMG_0786.jpg

Open the Egg quick with one hand and camera in the other.

Wooossshhhh...

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

pizza done

IMG_0822.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hey MaineEgg. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Good to see someone in Maine has a BGE and is posting on the boards. I used to live in Auburn until about 4 1/2 years ago when we moved down to San Antonio. Enjoy your summer, especially after the winter you had.
  • Good to know. Also comforting to know that this has happened to others. I'll definitely be more careful.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Darian,

That's awesome :woohoo:

I haven't seen the purple donut in a couple years, but the worst one to bite me was a silent and invisible one. :blink: I could hear hair singeing as well as smell it. :ohmy:
  • Toooo Cool. I'll get my camera and try that. That pizza looks delicious!
  • Photo Egg
    I was lucky. No arm hair melt down.
    The cross breeze kept if off my arm. Toasted the gasket.
    The 3rd picture you can see part of my gloveless thumb.
    I no better than to temp fate. I will leave the flashback photos for the Whiz. After a few beer it seemed like a good idea to take photos. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You might like to visit my website and visit the link about "Flashback". I have some lovely videos for your viewing pleasure. Also, the phenomenon is explained.

Flashback Explained

Here's a link to the HD video: Flashback HD, The Movie
    The Naked Whiz
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Tricolor 1824:

Yeah, she had a real tough winter...especially since she spent all winter in Southwest FLORIDA! :laugh: :laugh:

Just having fun with you Julie!!! :P

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Photo Egg wrote:
    I was lucky. No arm hair melt down.
    The cross breeze kept if off my arm. Toasted the gasket.
    The 3rd picture you can see part of my gloveless thumb.
    I no better than to temp fate. I will leave the flashback photos for the Whiz. After a few beer it seemed like a good idea to take photos. :laugh:

Sounds like a "hey guys, watch this" moment. :pinch:
  • dluvhog
    dluvhog Posts: 10
    Just this past weekend, I too also got the " breath of the dragon" Scared the bejesus out of me. :woohoo:
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Wow Darian!!! Great photos! Last time I got a flashback I heard bells ringing...

Cheers!
  • Does anyone know exactly what the mechanism is that causes this? Is this reaction unique to the Big Green Eggs?
  • I've heard of snow birds, but "snow eggs"? That's rich!
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    I bleieve that in fire events/terms it's actually called a "backdraft", and it's basically an explosive event caused by rapid re-introduction of oxygen to combustion in an oxygen-starved environment...

So if you have burning lump, a high air temperature, and no oxygen (closed lid and vents), and you suddenly re-introduce oxygen (open lid)... well it combusts aggressively...

It's not unique to Big Green Eggs... this is also the same principle behind why you should not open a window when in a big fire...

Cheers
  • Photo Egg
    Yes, I'm not much into country but it was a red neck kind of thing. I will not be doing it again.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Yes, it is actually called "backdraft", but what causes it is the fact that you have hot charcoal in a closed container. The oxygen in the container gets used up so combustion stops. However, the hot charcoal is still giving off gases, included carbon monoxide. When you open the lid, the oxygen rushes into a cooker full of very very hot carbon monoxide when then burns in a most fun and colorful way. Boom goes the dynamite, to quote the baseball announcer. This will happen on any cooker that can recreate those conditions.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Amazing flashback pics...

The zah looks great too!

Michael
  • the Eggie can also belch hot flames, or just smoke, out the bottom vent---especially if you close the top vent on a hot cook B)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ha ha I was just feeling guilty and going to post that I am now officially a snow bird and did not suffer through the horrid winter up here and you ratted me out LOL and it was hard :( i burnt my nose out fishing one day!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    got any hair left?...lol.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Nice pizza...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wow Darian, those are incredible shots. Now I know what one looks like.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Sundazes wrote:
    Sounds like a "hey guys, watch this" moment. :pinch:[/quote]

Actually, that comment is always preceded by:

"Here, hold my beer."
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Love the HD video!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That is one way to cook a pizza. How long did it take for your hair on your arm to grow back? :( :laugh: :woohoo:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Had one happen to me while cooking bacon. Holy snapfish it was scary. Left arm no hair for a few weeks.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Do they make GasX tablets for the egg? :laugh: :silly: :laugh: :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The last time I saw an egg blow it's top was photographed. Here are 2 pics:

spambarf0.jpg

When the spam let loose it knocked the metal vent cap about 6 feet in the air... scared the heck out of all present

spambarf.jpg

Then we howled in laughter!!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"