Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking pork loin

EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family wants me to smoke a 8lb pork loin for the 4th. Any suggestions on what temp to smoke it at. I'm thinking 210-225 with Apple and hickory chips and wrapping the loin with Bacon. Cooking till about 155 and wrapping it. I'm also not sure how long it will take. HELP! Thanks for any input.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I think the method you describe would end up making a decent piece of loin. However, while the bacon would help keep the lean loin from drying out, it will also absorb most of the smoke, leaving double smoked bacon, and a lightly smoked loin.

Are you sure your family isn't just asking you to put the loin into the "BGE smoker?" If so, you could just roast it, and put a nice glaze on it. Or inject it with some apple juice and spices. Or better yet, butterfly it, stuff it with any number of fillings, and roll it back up.

Loins are usually roasted at no more than 350, with an approximate time of 1/2 hr per pound. Stuffed will take longer. Likewise, "enhanced" or brined loins may take a bit longer because of the larger amount of liquid being heated.
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    I wouldn't take the temp past 140. If you take it off at 140 and tent it with foil you will have much better results.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01529a.jpg

You can barbecue a loin, but they are easier to cook at roasting temps and you can still use some flavor wood during the cook. If you are using a boneless loin, you can cut it into smaller roasts to make handling easier. Cook time is based on diameter.

DSC09587text2.jpg

I mix a lite brine and inject the same brine prior to soaking the loins. This makes them really moist, and can add some additional flavor into the roast too. If you go that route, remember brined meats cook faster, so keep an eye on that. I really like loins pulled off about 145°, and after the rest they will rise 6 to 8 degrees. Marinating is another option, or you can use a wet slather to deliver flavors.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I'm with gdenby on this one, smoking a loin like you described is going to give you a dry piece of meat, roasting will give a much better result.
    Go to the search forum and type in pork loin and/or go to the recipe section and look under pork. You will get plenty of ideas :)
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    you need to be careful with your terms, at least i need to with my family. Pork Loin, pork Tenderloin, and pork Roast (pulled pork) can get confusing if you are not on the same page, and they all get cooked different.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Generally, low and slow cooking is reserved for tough cuts of meat that have a lot of colligan and fat. Lean cuts of meat need to be cooked at higher heat to avoid drying out. Loin is a lean cut of meat.

I have had excellent results cooking pork loins by rubbing with favorite herbs and spices, then cooking direct heat, 350 dome temp, and pull the meat when the meat temp hits 135 internal. Turn the loin a number of times during the cook to get a nice crust. Allow to rest, wrapped in foil for 1/2 hour after cooking to redistribute the juice and let the meat temp coast up to 140. Loin can dry out and get tough if allowed to cook to well done. It normally takes around 1.5 hours to reach target temps if you follow this advice. The main thing you need to do is do not overcook the pork.
  • EggHead09
    They really are not sure what they want to be honest. I think mostly they are wanting a tender piece of meat that has a nice smoke flavor. I can see your point on the bacon. I was going to use the bacon to help keep the meat from drying out. I haven't decided if it would be better to brine the loin or put a rub on the loin and inject it with a marinade and slather the outside during the cook. I thought about stuffing it too but I do not know much about that arena yet. Most of what I do are the tougher meats and I generally do them quite well. This is just a completely new avenue for me. As you can tell by my inexperience
  • stevesails
    well, in that case i would do a tenderloin, cook two. one to medium, and one to medium well done.

or if they want pulled pork do a but.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• EggHead09
    The meat they purchased was an 8lb boneless pork loin. I'm stuck with all the fun part of making it taste amazing.
  • stevesails
    no problem, there was a recent post with a beautiful cook. lots of garlic cloves inserted. I would cook it like i used to in the oven 350 till done, and use some mile smoke to begin the cook. use your favorite rub, or more garlic, salt and pepper on the outside.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Roast it at 350, I pull mine at 138 internal, and rest. If it is to well done it can get dry.
    DSC_5054.jpg