Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard decision

mrsroasting
mrsroasting Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm finally getting closer to making the BIG purchase. Can't wait to get to grilling. Had my eye on the large for some time.

Here's my challenge. I have a local dealer that I have found that has the best pricing on Egg's. I'm looking at the Large setup. In the mean time I found a dealer an hour away that has the Primo Oval XL for the same price. The price is a $300 discount on the XL and lower than the Large egg setup by $50.

Now I know this is an Egg forum but tell me why I wouldn't do the Oval Xl as my first grill and look to play with an egg down the road?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    both are good cookers but I choose the egg for the warranty and aftermarket toys,,,, oh and this forum ;)
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    The question is...do you really need the XL--even if it's less expensive. The large may be the right size for your needs.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Warranty and a support forum
  • I understand the difference in warranty. Both brands have an active forum although I like this forum a bit more. This forum is a free forum that I would still participate in even if I went to the black side so I don't see that as an issue other than the tomatos you guys would throw at me.
  • ResQue
    Well if you understand the difference in the warranties and already like this forum more, I believe you have already made up your mind to purchase the BGE.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I think the concensus is BGE, but no matter which you choose, I have 3 BGEs (L,M,S) plus 2 older kamado styles, The question becomes as your cooking family grows can you get a small and mini from the other guy to have a matching family? Yes this forum does rock and is getting better (rumor?).
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have never understood why some ask question(s)which they already know the answer to.
    Would you go onto a Harley Davidson forum and ask if you should get a Harley or Yamaha?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    both are good cookers but not to sound harsh, if you get the oval you'll probably be making that hour drive often.......just repeating comments to me from oval owners but good chance you'll feel a little out place in the egg store owning only an oval......can't really engage in relaxing conversation owning the competition. still like army vs. navy, yankees vs red sox, cowboys vs nfc east......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I am really leaning towards BGE but here's my issue. Size Matters! From the very first time I started looking at Egg's I always thought the surface area looked small. I have read all the comments, watched them cooked on, watched the forum and what all gets done on them but each time I look at one I think "man that's small." I believe the XL is two large and takes too much charcoal but the grilling surface to me looks about right. So for me it's "size matters." The Oval is actually a little larger than my current grill and is the only real consideration why I'm looking at it. Overall I like BGE people, forums, warranties, nostalgia, etc. better.

I know Red Sox vs. Yank's, Harley vs. Honda, etc. but I posted this on both forums to get the competitions feedback against one another.
  • ResQue
    How many people are you cooking for on average?

Edit: A large will easily feed a single family home. Add the BGE three tier rack or the Adjustable rig from CGS and you can cook a whole heck of a lot more.
  • Cooking for a hungry family of 4
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I've read a few of your posts, my recommendation is buy the primo xl. Going forward, you wont' be happy with the large egg because you'll always have the primo deal in the back of your mind. You're not really willing to spend to get what you truly want, the xl egg. You're worried about pennies on the cost of lump. Sounds like you need to settle for what you consider your second best option, primo xl.

Before you buy, one thing I'd explore is lump usage, xl primo vs. xl egg: not capacity but usage. You might be surprised what you find. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • there is always a question as to the best...remember one thing, when you by a step down it is always going to be a step down...

when they say its just like...it still isn't the same thing its just close...

I went for the XL egg and it is almost too big...I cant even bring up a large yet with the wife, but i figure it is only a matter of time....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    mrsroasting,

I have several eggs and they all have a benefit. The Primo large oval is a great cooker too. If I were you I would think seriously about what your biggest cook might be and go from there. Many here have multiple eggs. Many Primo owners have multiple Primos or a combination of the two.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ResQue
    A large is plenty of space for you.
  • I went with the egg because of the location of the dealer. reputation of the product and finally the amount of eggsessories I could buy for it. Plus the great people on th forum.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I have both. You will not regret either decision.