Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Question

Bljack153
Bljack153 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 XL's, one at both of my homes. My college age son has recently got into cooking and I am considering getting him a mini for his apt. Can you cook a butt on mini or is is just good for hot cooks?

Comments

• PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    I have a mini and I'm thinking that if I can get a good indirect set up - I don't yet have the "Woo" or whatever the thing is that the ceramic grill store sells - I could do one of the split butts (about 3 lbs) that my local Piggly Wiggly sells. You could definitely do country style ribs cut from the butt then pull them for pulled pork.

I may have to conduct a "mini" experiment to see how a split butt would turn out.

Pat
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Minis don't come with plate setters you'd have to think of an indirect setting for L&S cooks. I have used pyrex dishes, small cazuelas or pizza stones in the past on my mini

DSCN1276.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

DSCN6961.jpg

DSCN7243.jpg
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I think others have done it, I have not and don't think I would as I have 4 eggs mini, small, medium and a large. I love my mini and do direct and indirect cooks on it all the time. It is just the wife and I most of the time. I think a small would be a better size for your son.
    Good luck.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I've done 6.5 lb. on my mini. It took 8 hours and was perfect to pull. For indirect I wrapped a mini pizza screen with foil.
    I can't seem to get in my photobucket to show you. :(
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    I'm thinking a small would be more practical. Those mini's are just like they suggest...mini.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Recently, PB wouldn't accept my password so I had to reset it..
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    A friend of mine builds these for the mini and they work very well. Its also nice to use for cooking higher above the charcoal.

57_ring1_1.jpg
    57_ring2_1.jpg
    57_ring3_1.jpg

As im the german distributor for the Big Green Egg we are thinking about distributing these over Europe.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Unless your son is cooking for more than two or three you may want to go for a larger Egg than the Mini. But don't completely discount the Mini. It can do some amazing cooks. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Once he starts to use the Egg he may just want burgers. The Mini is certainly perfect for that. But if he continues to enjoy cooking, then consider getting him a Large.

Spring "Large, Small & Mini Cooker" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beli
    I want one, please mail me his information. TKS
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Nice looking rig! Is it available here in the U.S.?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Beli have you looked at Toms Mini Woo?
    photo-7-2.jpg
    miniegg_009.jpg
    And with a Amazon pizza stone for indirect (2 come with an order from Amazon):
    photo-42.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Beli, what's that egg cook? Can you give me some details? Looks great. Haven't tried a breakfast yet.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    They are available at www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Beli
    Mickey I already have the 2 amazon pizza mini stones, where can I find Tom's info.? TKS
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Small might be better choice as college kids have friends and they all eat lots of food. Make sure where he is living there are no fire marshall or property managers rules against grillings.
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Don Marco wrote:
    A friend of mine builds these for the mini and they work very well. Its also nice to use for cooking higher above the charcoal.

57_ring1_1.jpg
    57_ring2_1.jpg
    57_ring3_1.jpg

As im the german distributor for the Big Green Egg we are thinking about distributing these over Europe.

DM
    very nice Don, where can I find this?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks for that info Rascal.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE