Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just got a medium-help?

glosing
glosing Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My children just surprised their dad with a medium green egg. It seems small...used to looking at the space on our old charcoal grill. We use it for the 2 of us but sometimes cook for more..should we try to trade it in for a large? I will take any thoughts. What are some good ways to sell it if we do....it has been used 2x. Thanks for your advice. We are newbies for sure!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    It will work perfectly for you guys. ;)

Once through the learning curve and then showing off your skills, you'll be deciding on which 2nd egg is best. :P
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Congratulations! Definitely don't sell!

If you were truly starting from scratch I might have suggested a Large just to have the extra room when you need it. However, the Medium is also a good bet for just a couple.

Keep the Medium and have fun with it for a few months. Then if you really think you want something bigger than you can sell it to get a Large. You will not have lost anything as it will really be worth just as much then as now. Plus, even if you decide you want a Large I bet you wind up buying it and keeping both. Most of us have more than one. It lets you cook different things at different temps/methods/smoke flavors simultaneously.

I started with a Large. Six months later I got a Medium. Loved the tandem. Truthfully it met all my needs. Then last week (about three years after my first) I bought the XL. To be honest about it, the Large and Med combo was enough. Darn it. I just couldn't help myself.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • glosing
    glosing Posts: 2
    Thanks yall for the help!!! :P
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I have had a medium for about 6 months. I can easily cook for a family of four. I have also cooked for 8 when the family visits. Keep the medium, learn to use it then you can add a large later if you need it, that's my plan. There are many people here that have multiple eggs.

I have cooked-
    6 large ribeyes
    2 pork butts (about 13 lbs)
    4 racks of ribs
    10 burgers
    And more.

I would recommend getting something to raise the grate, I built my own but ceramic grill store has quality stuff.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    I think the larges are great, but I agree with skihorn. Use it a little while and decide if it's going to work for you. Those sell used like hot cakes, so you won't have any trouble selling it if you want to go with the large.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I started with 1 medium, and then bought a second a few years later. At first I still had 3 kids at home, and the medium was just fine. I did a party for my younger daughter, and fed 10 teens from 1 medium, tho' it was some work. I got the 2nd more for convenience than need. Its nice to have another Egg for cooking sides. And, because its easy to get 3 cooks without cleaning, if I load up my Eggs an Sunday, I can easily cook any weekday.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Don't be down on the Medium. I have one - me, wife and two (young) kids. You'll be surprised at how your cooking patterns change.
    I confess I have a Weber kettle that I like to use if I'm doing all out grilling - just that I need the grate space / temp zones and fiddling with stuff while it grills.
    On the BGE I tend to do less grilling and more roasting - whole chickens, brisket, salmon sides, pork shoulders and usually raised to the felt line.
    This isn't to say I don't grill - I still do plenty of kebabs and so on but it tends to be less of a fast, fierce and fiddle kind of thing. More of a stabilise, close lid and imbibe kind of affair. This means you can cram stuff on the grate rather than needing space to shift it around.
    I've heard the medium referred to as the unloved sibling of the large and small and found myself wishing I had a large I could supplement with a small but I love my medium - it's easy to fit stuff on without too much shoehorning and is easy on lump and quick to heat up. Sometimes it doesn't want to get started but this is my fault - ash clogged grate, damp leftover lump etc.
    I sometimes hanker after accessories that are available for the large - spider/wok ring but actually it stops me spending the money(!) I have a platesetter, a woo ring and a pizza stone (the third hand is universal).
    There have been some threads about poor airflow in the medium related to excessively undersize fire ring and the size / tolerance ratio may be an issue but it still rocks.
    I don't know your situation but I doubt cooking another 50 meals on it is going to affect its value now. So get over that remorse and get on with enjoying what you have - it's remarkable.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    My medium is my favorite egg of the bunch (I have a large, medium, small and mini). It's pretty miserly on the lump usage, but gives me plenty of space to cook for two, taking into account I always cook with at least another meal's-worth of leftovers in mind.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I'm with you BJ. I have the L,M,S,Mi and the medium is the favorite. Large egg is only for low and slow stuff these days. Its probably been used just 4-5 times this year. Medium and mini do the rest of the work.
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    I love my medium. It just me and the wife and it is the right size. I have cooked on mine for over two years now. I added one large and I just picked up another medium. Get the woo2 with stone and you will go crazy. happy egging
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'm not an expert, but here's my experience: My wife gave me a Medium two Christmases ago, and it's PERFECT for the two of us, and it's great for very many things I might want to cook when family comes over and there are seven of us, but there were times when I felt a little cramped on the Medium when there are many people over. I saw one of your replies where someone put 10 burgers on one, but I must make bigger burgers -- I don't think I'd get that many on at once.

So my wife gave me a Large this past Christmas, and I'm in hog heaven! I still use the Medium most of the time, and I LOVE it, but sometimes the Large is necessary, and at least once or twice I've had them BOTH going, and it was great! (For example, I bought a whole "Boneless Prime Rib" ribeye roast at Costco and it was too big for either of them, so I cut it in unequal halves and cooked part in the Medium and part in the Large.

If you really want to use it most of the time for having a lot of people over, and you can trade it in on the Large, I'd do so. But I LOVE my Medium, and I use it most of the time. If, like me, most of the time it's just the two of you, I'd stick with the Medium. There are many things you can cook for company on a Medium, and I love mine.

Theo